News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: spray can clear  (Read 1475 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
spray can clear
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
had two speed planes for Brodaks with Rattle can clear one was Dupli Color clear  and the other was Krylon MAXX,both had about 4 days drying time .after a day of flying they both had quite a bit of 10% fuel on them .whipped them down before putting them in the car for the ride home .two days later taking them out of the car that they were both sticky.i need to strip them both down and redo/ the plane I  used Dupli color color on was fine
rad racer

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: spray can clear
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:37:02 AM »
Try the Duplicolor Clear Gloss Wheel Paint.  Used it on a number of planes including Al's Perky repair and it seems to hold up fine.
Jim Vigani

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
will try it,thanks
rad racer

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
Bob,
On the paint thread the guys who used the rattle can stuff said it needed to let it cure out for 3 - 4 weeks. For a clear top coat you could go for the SprayMax 2K Urethane death paint in a can. Here is a site that has a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2-Cans-USC-SprayMax-2k-Glamour-High-Gloss-Aerosol-Clear-3680061-Spray/1323736703?iid=253673170824&chn=ps

Best,     DennisT

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »
Bob (as well as others)

Do yourself a favor folks, do what Dennis suggested and use the SprayMax 2K spray can clear.
Get the high gloss and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!!.

basically, activate the hardener in the can, shake like crazy for a good 2 minutes, fog on 2 coats with 10 minutes between the 2 fogging coats
then after another 10 minutes lay on a WET coat and let it dry over night (for best results)

yes, you use the 1 can for what ever you need cleared and once activated in the spray can, you do have about 24 hrs to use up the can
before is will start to SET UP in the can. (during the cold winter months, I have had it for about 3 months after activation and it was still nice and useable) But, that is probably only a single instance.

If you do not have a spray set up and can NOT afford the 2 part automotive paints, this is the way to go.

I have been using the SpraMAx system now for the last 13 years with out any problems.
And it IS fuel proof.  I have (for testing it) pored 100% nitro on a finished outrigger hydro and waited for an hour to see what would happen.
just wiped it off and still nice and clear and shiny. not any kind of stickyness at all.

and yes, this stuff does go over just about anything I have tried it on. (the secret is the 2 light fogging coats to start with)
Just make sure that your COLOR has had proper time for GAS OFF FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:22:34 PM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here