News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spot Putty  (Read 2239 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Spot Putty
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:22:23 PM »
What do you guys use for spot putty to fix small dings that show with the primer coats?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Spot Putty
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
James,

I use Bondo glazing putty (red tube).  It shrinks too much for a thick application, but for spot applications it's very good.  It's formulated for use on primered surfaces.  The attached photos show what it looks like on my Continental just before a final light coat of surface primer, then paint.

Paul

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
James,

Here's what I used on a Flite Streak. Dries fast and doesn't shrink.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
Experienced painters will tell you that "air dry" means "shrinks".  The solvent goes away (that's "drying"), there's less stuff there, and so it's smaller.  Pile up a thick enough layer of air dry putty, and it'll noticeably shrink.

2-part putty that doesn't have any solvents to dry out of it won't shrink -- so if you're filling some really big divot, or making fillets, that's what to use.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
Nitro-Stan  http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Nitro-Stan-Spot-White-Putty--P77978.aspx

I've been working on tube of it for 13 years and down to the last of it.  Time to get some more.  Works well, shrinks some but for small dings it is great.

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »
Nitro-Stan  http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Nitro-Stan-Spot-White-Putty--P77978.aspx

I've been working on tube of it for 13 years and down to the last of it.  Time to get some more.  Works well, shrinks some but for small dings it is great.

Phone rang, couldn't reply.

Mike,

That stuff is perfect over gray primer. I plan on getting a tube of it. Thanks for the Post.

Charles

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:50:48 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
I use what Mike uses.  I get it at the local auto parts and paint supplier.  Works great for small dings.  I use super fill for larger stuff.
Jim Vigani

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
I use glazing compound. Evercoat or Dolphin Glaze. Catalyzed spot putty that doesn't shrink and sands very easily.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »
I use glazing compound. Evercoat or Dolphin Glaze. Catalyzed spot putty that doesn't shrink and sands very easily.

Hi Randy,

Have you used Evercoat Eurosoft?  I think I have that right.  It's a lightweight glazing compound.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
Bill, I've been using Dolphin Glaze for a bit (big container). But I used standard Evercoat previously and it worked fine. I suspect that the Eurosoft is just an improved  version.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
Bill,

I picked up some of the Evercoat Eurosoft Gold yesterday. It seems just a bit thicker than Dolphin Glaze and seems very workable. Probably better for filling dings and creases. Seems to be cool stuff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »
Any body try this?   
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
Depending on how much "filling" I need to do, in order: Nitrostan (or Bondo) Spot Putty; Lightweight Spackling Compound; Evercoat Eurosoft; Super Fil; wood.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here