News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sources for good camel hair brushes/  (Read 2903 times)

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sources for good camel hair brushes/
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »
Anybody have a good source for high quality 1 inch and 1.5 inch camel hair paintbrushes??
Retired Army

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Sources for good camel hair brushes/
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:25 AM »

I recently bought several camel hair brushes in the 1" width from Hobby Lobby. Initially a few hairs came out but after a few uses its good to go. They were not too expensive, and Hobby Lobby runs a lot of discount offers on items too that can help. I ended up getting 40% off one item......Gene

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »

I've used basically one brush for every model I've built, from the Flite Streak years ago right up to the ARGO 2.

Same brush, still like brand new!

LIQUTEX 3/4" 'Plus" flat No. 598

I've applied Sig dope, Deft Wood Sealer lacquer and Min-wax water base with no issues at all.

I've cleaned this brush with Sig Dope thinner and Acetone every time I've used it and never had a hair pulled out of the Ferrule.

Price on my brush, 15.95. But I've had this brush over 20 years. I have no idea what the cost would be today or if the brush is still available?

I do have a second brush which works well also but I don't use it often. I just prefer a 3/4" brush. This one is 1".

LIQUITEX 1" "Natural" Flat No. 160.

My 1.5" brush is a Loew-Cornell 7550. I've rarely use this brush on my models.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
I've used basically one brush for every model I've built, from the Flite Streak years ago right up to the ARGO 2.

Same brush, still like brand new!

LIQUTEX 3/4" 'Plus" flat No. 598

I've applied Sig dope, Deft Wood Sealer lacquer and Min-wax water base with no issues at all.

I've cleaned this brush with Sig Dope thinner and Acetone every time I've used it and never had a hair pulled out of the Ferrule.

Price on my brush, 15.95. But I've had this brush over 20 years. I have no idea what the cost would be today or if the brush is still available?

I do have a second brush which works well also but I don't use it often. I just prefer a 3/4" brush. This one is 1".

LIQUITEX 1" "Natural" Flat No. 160.

My 1.5" brush is a Loew-Cornell 7550. I've rarely use this brush on my models.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

CB

OK, this is just to be for general information. The original poster asked for a "source" for a good camel hair brush. A "source" is a place where you can purchase something. He DID NOT, ask what brush you use, and you even went so far as to state that you do not know if this brush you use is still available. So, to review, the OP asked for a source for the item he is looking for, and you provided information that does not tell him what he wants to know and at the same time told him you didn't know where he could  find what he wants.
  Again, this is just for information purposes, and not to bash bully or "troll" as you put it, but begs to ask how does your answer provide any help to him at all?

Now to stay on subject, the last time I needed camel hair brushes I found some nice ones at the local Michael's craft store, and they were pretty reasonable. I would also like to echo the suggestion to try the Hobby Lobby craft stores and check your local newspaper for their add and 40% off coupons.
   Type at you later and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »

OK, this is just to be for general information. The original poster asked for a "source" for a good camel hair brush. A "source" is a place where you can purchase something. He DID NOT, ask what brush you use, and you even went so far as to state that you do not know if this brush you use is still available. So, to review, the OP asked for a source for the item he is looking for, and you provided information that does not tell him what he wants to know and at the same time told him you didn't know where he could  find what he wants.
  Again, this is just for information purposes, and not to bash bully or "troll" as you put it, but begs to ask how does your answer provide any help to him at all?

Now to stay on subject, the last time I needed camel hair brushes I found some nice ones at the local Michael's craft store, and they were pretty reasonable. I would also like to echo the suggestion to try the Hobby Lobby craft stores and check your local newspaper for their add and 40% off coupons.
   Type at you later and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  Dan McEntee

Dan,

There ya go, muddy David's Thread.

You're not just a troll your a Super Troll. Eddy Murphy said something like that in "Beverly Hills Cop."

If that was my Post you would tell me to do a Google search. Or you would find something.

The Forum members know exactly what you're up to and you've been doing this religiously for at least seven years.

I'm living in your mind rent free, and having a great time doing it. Next will be Sean.

You can look forward to the finished "Pushy Galore." You'll find some fault with that.

Oh, and by the way, if I do fly any of my models, I don't have to report to you or anyone else.

But I do see I fly more than some. You're not picking on the 'some?'

Type at you later.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
Dan,

There ya go, muddy David's Thread.

You're not just a troll your a Super Troll. Eddy Murphy said something like that in "Beverly Hills Cop."

If that was my Post you would tell me to do a Google search. Or you would find something.

The Forum members know exactly what you're up to and you've been doing this religiously for at least seven years.

I'm living in your mind rent free, and having a great time doing it. Next will be Sean.

You can look forward to the finished "Pushy Galore." You'll find some fault with that.

Oh, and by the way, if I do fly any of my models, I don't have to report to you or anyone else.

But I do see I fly more than some. You're not picking on the 'some?'

Type at you later.

Well, My apologies to Mr. Ruff, but this just proves my point. Your reply to my posts has nothing to do with anything that I wrote. I never mentioned flying any models, when I walk away from the computer, you stay behind and are the LAST thing that I would be thinking about as I go through my day, and you might wanna go watch "Beverly Hills Cop" again, as I am a big fan of that movie and watch it often and I don't think Eddie Murphy ever says that in any context.  I was not bullying you, made any personal attacks,  or trolling you (I am really sure now that you do not know the meaning of the word) but just trying to be helpful to you, to get you to understand that you need to read a post more carefully and completely, and be sure you are addressing the thoughts of the original poster. You did neither in either one of your replies. You just need to be more careful and thorough, and then more thoughtful in your replies.

And quit stealing my sign off phrase. I invented that.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
     Well, My apologies to Mr. Ruff, but this just proves my point. Your reply to my posts has nothing to do with anything that I wrote. I never mentioned flying any models, when I walk away from the computer, you stay behind and are the LAST thing that I would be thinking about as I go through my day, and you might wanna go watch "Beverly Hills Cop" again, as I am a big fan of that movie and watch it often and I don't think Eddie Murphy ever says that in any context.  I was not bullying you, made any personal attacks,  or trolling you (I am really sure now that you do not know the meaning of the word) but just trying to be helpful to you, to get you to understand that you need to read a post more carefully and completely, and be sure you are addressing the thoughts of the original poster. You did neither in either one of your replies. You just need to be more careful and thorough, and then more thoughtful in your replies.

And quit stealing my sign off phrase. I invented that.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
   Dan McEntee

Dan,

You know I cannot trust your words after 7 years of constant trolling. And you know this is true. That's what happens when you elect to troll. Just like that person pretending to drown that calls for help.

There's a PM feature you can use to chastise me. You have used it before just for that and I have saved copies. Terrible words Dan, do you remember? Well, it was 2012 I believe or there about?

Tell you what. It is 2018, a great year, I might even fly a bit more if I can get my field equipment together.

Anyway, simply apologize for all those years you bullied, trashed and trolled me, some viciously with malice and hate. Then we can get off to a great start. A good start it will be. Trust and friends. The Forum doesn't need to read this kind of negative stuff. I've said that before!

Beverly Hills Cop. Here's the line,  “I don't know what you teach these fellows but they're not just regular cops. They're super cops."

Yes, a commercial film but a good one. I am a fan of Eddy Murphy. He just about cried thanking the audience and his fans for participation with his success on SNL. Fans are important. I no longer watch SNL.

So Dan, what do you say? An apology for all those years and a fresh start as modeling friends?

Yes, Happy New Year to you also. I already did that in your HNY Thread yesterday.

CB

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
Are we starting off the new year with this kind of garbage?   I think most of us have learned to ignore a few individuals when they can't back up het is typed.

As far as brushes go, remember the guy on TV that painted great looking pictures using ordinary house paint brushes.   I do remember being told that a member of our club back in the 50-6o's used house paint and brushes on his models.  I had several of his models in my possession for a while after he left this world.

Any way hopefully 2018 will be a much better year for all of us.   I don't need any more trips to hospitals and hand surgery. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
See this thread
https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/good-paint-brush/

My hobby lobby, JoAnn's, and Michael's as well as WalMart all have decent versions

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWRS2&P=7

I like and use these...cheap and durable...  IMO
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:07:53 PM »
Dan,

You know I cannot trust your words after 7 years of constant trolling. And you know this is true. That's what happens when you elect to troll. Just like that person pretending to drown that calls for help.

There's a PM feature you can use to chastise me. You have used it before just for that and I have saved copies. Terrible words Dan, do you remember? Well, it was 2012 I believe or there about?

Tell you what. It is 2018, a great year, I might even fly a bit more if I can get my field equipment together.

Anyway, simply apologize for all those years you bullied, trashed and trolled me, some viciously with malice and hate. Then we can get off to a great start. A good start it will be. Trust and friends. The Forum doesn't need to read this kind of negative stuff. I've said that before!

Beverly Hills Cop. Here's the line,  “I don't know what you teach these fellows but they're not just regular cops. They're super cops."

Yes, a commercial film but a good one. I am a fan of Eddy Murphy. He just about cried thanking the audience and his fans for participation with his success on SNL. Fans are important. I no longer watch SNL.

So Dan, what do you say? An apology for all those years and a fresh start as modeling friends?

Yes, Happy New Year to you also. I already did that in your HNY Thread yesterday.

CB

Constant trolling??? Now you are just fibbing and making things up. I don't have time for that, and I'm not on the forums nearly that much.  And I have never sent you a PM message and you have never sent me one. Anything I have to say to you I say in the forums. You must have me mixed up with one of your other fans?  I have said nothing to apologize for, as far as I'm concerned. I stand by everything I have ever posted.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
Guys.  I did lots of internet searching and I came up with this.

https://www.solobrushes.com/products/3364-finest-flat-camel-hair-lacquering-482/

I will let you know how they work.

I am not really set up for spraying at this point. 
Retired Army

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
Guys.  I did lots of internet searching and I came up with this.

https://www.solobrushes.com/products/3364-finest-flat-camel-hair-lacquering-482/

I will let you know how they work.

I am not really set up for spraying at this point.

Those are similar to what I found at Michael's Craft stores. They have them in sets and individual. Take a pair of pliers and crimp the ferrel that holds the bristles to help secure them a bit more. Nothing wrong with brush finishes. There were articles in the old American Aircraft Modeler magazine on using brushes through  to the final finish, even with epoxy paints. The trick is to get the paint thinned properly for the paint to flow out of the brush, and to develop the touch it takes for that to happen, and not just rub the paint on with the brush. If you have multiple colors and need to mask off an area, just brush a even coat of clear along the tape to seal it and keep the next color from creeping under the tape. I worked part time at a local hobby shop for 35 years or so and there were several plastic model airplanes hanging from the ceiling that were brush painted, but you could not tell unless you got within a foot of the model. The guy that built those was a master. but oddly enough, I never did get to meet him. Shop around a bit and even check the local mom and pop hardware stores for camel hair brushes. Some of those sometimes will surprise you with what they have in stock sometime. Most guys keep a brush separate just for clear dope. And like anything else. Practice makes perfect. Do a search on the forums for a topic called "doping the dope." It's a technique where to add a bit of the base color of the dope you will be using to the clear you use for final build ups, just enough to tint the clear dope. The subsequent coats will build up the color to a point where you will need lots less to cover on the coats. It works especially well with light colors such as white, yellow, gray and such where it takes a lot to cover. Saves a lot of weight in paint.
  Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee 
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »
 Hey Dan,

It's just not worth your time (or anyones) trying to talk sense to you-know-who. Quite a while back I learned of the "ignore" feature on this forum. I dug into it right away and to this day I still only have one name sitting in my ignore list. It's a wonderful feature.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »

Constant trolling??? Now you are just fibbing and making things up. I don't have time for that, and I'm not on the forums nearly that much.  And I have never sent you a PM message and you have never sent me one. Anything I have to say to you I say in the forums. You must have me mixed up with one of your other fans?  I have said nothing to apologize for, as far as I'm concerned. I stand by everything I have ever posted.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dan,

"When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong." A line from Dirty Dancing.

Yes, I had you mixed up with someone else, you never sent me a PM.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:13:13 PM »
David,

Did you ever build that Brodak Fancy Pants kit you had?

Charles

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »
I finished the Fancy Pants.  It flew OK.  I sold it.

About brushes, I found them at a place here....

Retired Army

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
I finished the Fancy Pants.  It flew OK.  I sold it.

About brushes, I found them at a place here....

Ha! Same place I got mine, but I bought a slightly different version:
https://www.solobrushes.com/products/7764-flat-camel-hair-laquering-brush-481/
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 06:19:26 AM »
by the way, after using the brushes from solobrushes, they are the best I have found. 
Retired Army

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here