Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Source for fiberglass cloth

<< < (3/3)

Paul Smith:
I received the 3/4 ounce cloth from MECOA.
Good price, good shipping, overall good transaction.

But,,,,,,, It seems like 3/4 ounce is quite a bit heavier than the old pack of Sig that I depleted.  I'm still on the hunt for some 1/2 ounce or lighter.

1/4 ounce per yard is nothing in the square footage that I use, but the resin weight is the issue.
So I'm still looking for some 1/2 ounce FG or lighter.

Motorman:
3/4oz will take less resin to fill than .5oz.

Sig use to sell .5oz.

I use to use .5oz but you have to fill the grain under it a little or you'll get pin holes and print through. 3-5 coats of nitrate dope then sand it back a bit then let it gass off for a week. I apply cloth with Zpoxy finishing resin. Clear epoxy paint works well too. I've even used polycrylic to apply glass cloth, works great, comes out stiff and different paints will stick to it well.

MM 8)   

Dennis Toth:
Agree with MM using 3/4 oz fiberglass comes out lighter than 1/2 oz because of the extra resin needed to fill the wave in 1/2 oz. If you apply several coats of clear dope to the wood then use the card scrap method (apply resin then use a playing card or business card to scrap off as much of the resin as you can, after cure do second coat same way) it will be stronger and lighter with the 3/4 oz glass. Lots of guys do this to stiffen flaps.

Best,   DennisT

Motorman:
https://stunthanger.com/smf/building-techniques/fiberglass-sale/msg669238/#msg669238

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version