News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So, here I sit....sanding, sanding, and sanding some more....  (Read 681 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
So, here I sit....sanding, sanding, and sanding some more....
« on: August 12, 2022, 06:30:52 PM »
I finally got around to continuing the finishing process on a Forerunner (foam cores given to me by Tom Farmer himself) that I started building 18-19 years ago. Yes, I know, that's a long time for it to be a hanger queen - life sometimes gets in the way.

I don't remember much of how I actually finished it, other than a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic (water-based), covered everything with silkspan using Polycrylic, sanded, wiped down, and used a Preval sprayer for at least one coat of, I think, auto primer. After that, I set it aside to dry & gas off in preparation to start sanding most of it off. Then life happened. Now, here I am, attacking it with 220, then 320 grit, sandpaper to knock off as much as I can.

This....is going to take a while. The nice thing is that the primer just powders off. Only issue is having to continually wipe off the fine sanding dust from the surface.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: So, here I sit....sanding, sanding, and sanding some more....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 08:24:22 PM »
Well hopefully it will keep you out of trouble. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: So, here I sit....sanding, sanding, and sanding some more....
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 10:13:57 PM »
Don't know about that. I do know that I keep bouncing from one project to another, and that's when I actually have time to do any of it,  what with being married and having a rambunctious 6yo son, as well as advancing along nicely at work.

I just hope to finish it sometime soon so I have something to fly. Did I mention I'm wanting to convert it from original glow setup (was going to use a .46LA) to electric? It's not so much for the convenience and reliability as much as the quietness - dad is really hard of hearing, and I know unmuffled glow engines played a part in his hearing loss.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here