Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

SLC OVER Polyspan?

<< < (2/54) > >>

Larry Renger:
The point is to not have to fill the Polyspan weave with heavy coats of dope and filler. The SLC does all that, and by bonding to the Polyspan adds tremendous rigidity to the wing structure. The only dope used is enough to bond the Polyspan to the wing structure. No dope on the open bays at all!

I expect that the SLC underneath with Polyspan doped over it gets the same strength gain, and is reputed to save weight compared to filling the weave with dope alone. But SLC on top does it all, lighter.

If one used dyed covering such as silkspan, your finish would be done in one shot. Also, use of some of the ultralight films intended for parkflyers becomes practical for big models. More experimentationto be done!

See the Baby Clown thread in the 1/2A section for a photo of the wing.

Lauri Malila:
Hi.

It depends on what is your idea of a slick surface. The plastic film will propably mirror all imperfections from the base surface, it means that the paper has to be filled well anyway. Personally I would do it in the opposite way.
But for quick & dirty finish, why not!

Lauri

Ps. People should test the polyester fabric (ripstop) materials, like Icarex, in cl models too. They are extremely strong, stabile and easy to use. They have allready made the Polyspan allmost history in Many free flight categories.

Larry Renger:
The imperfections can be filled with primer on the SLC after a quick wet sanding to kill the gloss. There is no reason to fill the paper!

Lauri Malila:
Sorry, didn't notice that you are going to paint it, too. In that case, why not. Or just forget the Polyspan and cover with slightly thicker Mylar (I guess that's what SLC is, too). It can be painted, that's the standard practise in eastern Europe. L

Larry Renger:
With out doing actual destructive impact tests, I believe the composite of fiber and film is way tougher and more rigid than either alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version