Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

SLC OVER Polyspan?

<< < (54/54)

Ara Dedekian:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on April 05, 2024, 09:24:52 AM ---  What most concerns me is the Texas Sun. 

Ken

--- End quote ---

Ken,

Here's my experience with Doculam, it may have some relevance to your question. Below is my Clown Racer from early 2000. After the races died out in our area it was put away in my attic in the Boston area for years and went through freezing cold and sweltering heat. It then came to Maine for even more extremes in temperature and eventually all the paint came off the covering.

The film was scuffed with OOO steelwool and sprayed with waterbased System Three marine urethane primer and their color coat. The products were sold through the Nelson Co. advertising in Model Aviation. The fuselage was primed and sanded with the same primer. The paint and primer did survive the silkspan and talc/dope base prep and looks like the picture to this day.

Ara

Ken Culbertson:
Thanks Ara, I have had some silkspan/dope finishes separate in those conditions.  It looks like the Doculam over the silkspan held though and that is my major concern.

ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version