News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water Based Epoxy Paint  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Water Based Epoxy Paint
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Seems I remember there was a water based 2 part epoxy paint that was fuel proof. Sounds too good to be true. Does anyone remember this?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Water Based Epoxy Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:41:35 AM »
Seems I remember there was a water based 2 part epoxy paint that was fuel proof. Sounds too good to be true. Does anyone remember this?

Thanks,
MM

I'm not sure about colors, but there are Brands of water base 2K Epoxy clears that I know of which are used on floors. Stuff has been around for years.

I used to do the center art logos and lines on gym floors, using One Shot paints, so I've seen these clears.

Shine like glass!

Not sure if they are fuel proof?

Good luck.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
Nelson (forgot the company's name) used to sell a 2 part water based paint that was formulated by a boat building company. Nelson sold the company a couple of years ago, but I think the new owner still sells the product. I used it a lot, but it is very difficult to get a gloss finish. Also it will not stick very well to any primer except from the same source. Primer is white and sands easily, but the final coat is matte unless clear coated, which they also produce. It is very fuel resistant. Easy clean up and no odor. Weird thing is, since it's water based, the best finish is achieved on the most humid days. I used to wet the floor of my shop with a running soaker hose to get a much better finish. It flashes very fast on a dry day, almost like lacquer. You can probably find it via Google.

Paul

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »

MM

The company, formerly Nelson Industries, is now Nelson Hobbies and carries as part of its line paints and epoxies from System Three, a marine products company as Paul mentioned. The paint is a fuel proof urethane which Nelson sells in  smaller quantities suitable for modelers. I found it difficult to spray. The photo below (previously posted on another topic) is the System Three paint which stuck to the wood but has since peeled off the iron on covering. Can't remember what I clearcoated it with.

However, the epoxy trial kits that System Three sells are worth looking into. I got mine years ago that included the various viscosities and fillers in sample quantities. The new kits seem to have changed but are the same idea.

Ara

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here