News:

• May 22, 2024, 04:03:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Veil  (Read 1259 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Carbon Fiber Veil
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
I had this in the scale but I am moving it to finish.  Seems to be a better fit.

Well I am starting a new project (DO 335 for next summers NATS) so I have a bunch of questions.  It will be a profile build and I want to keep it light.  I am looking to cover the body with carbon fiber.  Should I use cloth or veil. I found a company called FIBER GLAST that sells veil.  They bill it as .2 oz.  Is this the weigh I am looking for?  A 36" x 35" piece costs $15 + ? shipping.  Is this a good price?  What is the best source for carbon fiber products? And last but not least which resin - Epoxy, Polyester, or Vinyl Ester?  Or do you just stick it down with dope like sik span? This will be my first time to try this construction method.
  ???

By the way Lee has agreed to make my prop shaft for the rear engine setup.  I will mount the engine inboard and drive the prop with a U-joint, 8" shaft, ballbearing setup.  The price he quoted for the project was an offer I couldn't refuse.  Lee is truly a asset to our hobby and deserves our support.
  H^^
When I get started I will do a build thread.  Not sure It will help advance the hobby because I generally don't know what I am doing.  But ignorance rubbing agents necessity some times generates an interesting results.
 LL~

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Carbon Fiber Veil
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
John,
.2 oz carbon veil is the right one if you go that route as opposed to CF cloth.  About the lightest cloth available is 2 oz. per sq. yd.  It is very expensive ($80 - $100 a sq. yd.), and would have to vaccum bagged on to really work well.  For that you would use epoxy.  Veil would be my choice and the price you quoted is about right.  I usually buy 10 yards at a time as the price goes down by about a third.  You would apply the veil using clear dope for the best results.  Do a search of this forum for tips on application.
Alan Resinger

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
John,
.2 oz carbon veil is the right one if you go that route as opposed to CF cloth.  About the lightest cloth available is 2 oz. per sq. yd.  It is very expensive ($80 - $100 a sq. yd.), and would have to vaccum bagged on to really work well.  For that you would use epoxy.  Veil would be my choice and the price you quoted is about right.  I usually buy 10 yards at a time as the price goes down by about a third.  You would apply the veil using clear dope for the best results.  Do a search of this forum for tips on application.
Alan Resinger

Thanks Allen,  That is what I was thinking after reading what I could find on this forum.  Am I correct in assuming that the carbon veil will add a lot of stifness to a profile body?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
Hi John.  I'll be home Monday so come on by and I'll give you what you need for free plus info on where I purchased it very economically.  Ty

Cool will do  Thanks   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
All you want and more, less expensive than many other suppliers

http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=251