News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dont do what I did - duplicolor spray cans  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Dont do what I did - duplicolor spray cans
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
So I built a test plane for a new (to me) finish system prior to putting it on my new pattern practice plane I'm building. I built a 1/2a nobler to try out duplicolor lacquer finished with dope. So i started off with 2 coats of minwax lacquer to seal the wood, sand lightly, 2 coats of duplicolor high build primer sanded between coats. Here's where i went wrong. I wanted a star spangled paint scheme, with the fuse being blue with white stars and the wings red and white stripes. So I painted the whole plane white duplicolor with the intention of masking off the stars and red stripes. I then took some vinyl precut stars (the kind that are permanent) and stuck them to the white and proceeded to spray the blue. When the blue was dry, I started to peel off the stars. Not only did the blue not peel cleanly around the 1/4" stars, it also peeled white off the primer. So what I ended up with was some totally gray cleanly outlined stars and then some where the white peeled up in a sheet off the primer, leaving a half circle of nasty where a star should ahve been.  I ended up just spraying the whole damn thing blue in frustration. As far as I can tell, I made two mistakes.

1) The white over the primer should have been put on with a wet first coat. It was not my intention to do a dry coat, but having never used the spray duplicolor, I was not aware of how fast it dried. What happened was that the paint was basically dry by the time it hit the surface of the plane, thus causing a lack of adhesion. This stuff dries to the touch in seemingly a minute or so. Put it on heavy and wet. When I put the blue on, I did it in one nice wet coat. It looked great and I let it dry for a few hours before peeling the tape. It stuck to the white great.

2) The vinyl precut stars are not good at all for masking duties. These are permanent and not meant to be peeled off. I think had I not used these stars and cut them out of masking tape or vinyl mask, I could have gotten away with the lack of adhesion from the white to the primer.

Live and learn. I just kept telling myself that this is the reason that I did the test plane. Does anyone know where I can get some precut stars out of actual vinyl mask that I don't have to special order from a sign shop?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Dont do what I did - duplicolor spray cans
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get some precut stars out of actual vinyl mask that I don't have to special order from a sign shop?

Chris,

I'm drawing a red white and blue scheme for The New American!

Drop me a PM and I'll send you your stars.

I'm surprised you have never seen my websight or work. I'm in the Vendor's Corner.

My graphics are on this model. I've also sent paint masks and graphics to others on the Forum. I wish they would Post their models. ;D

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
Charles makes some nice masks!!

As far as your failed paint system, one word... RustOleum
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
HI Chris,

What happened in your test can happen with any "lacquer system" (and dope is also a "lacquer").  Lacquer works (as you probably know) by chemically melting into the lower coats.  If things are not right, it goes on too dry and adhesion is very poor.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
Doug,

Great job with that model. Glad I could help!

I cleaned up your photo a bit, brought out the true color, well a small improvment.

Hope you don't mind.

What model is next?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here