News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silk patch for open bay  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Silk patch for open bay
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
Guys,
Had a small issue at KOI with the El Diablo that caused the outboard wing tip to drag across the concrete and scrape off the silk over the front 2" of the tip ribs. This caused a slight sanding off the nose of the last rib and loss silk. Question, to patch this can I simply cut out the silk between the tip rib and first rib and put the patch over this or can I just put strips of silk over the ribs and attach it to the old silk (I added a cap piece to bring the end tip rib back to the original height)?

Best,         DennisT

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Silk patch for open bay
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
I would patch to the ribs rather than to the silk.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
I decided to do a combo on this. The silk on either side of the last rib bay (half rib and end rib) still had some attachment to the rib. I cut out the loose part between the ribs. I degreased the area and used some CA to make sure the side silk was attached to the ribs. I put a silk patch overlapping the ribs & covering. I used the same silk I covered the wing with and it did the patch open bay area did same thing the it did on the wing (loosened after the first coat of clear). Since I'd seen this before I kept going and at around the 6th coat of clear it started to tighten. All good now ready for trim yellow and clearcoat.

Best,        DennisT

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:28:13 PM »

had a hole in my silk covered formula S thanks to a pair of sun glass's  i cut the hole round then made a frame bigger than the hole ,covered the frame with wet silk and doped edges same as doing a wing. gave it a couple of coats of butrate (not nitrate) cut out a circle biger than the hole and dopped it over the hole  came out very good.
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
Guys,
Patch job on the El Diablo worked nice, nice and tight. I got the yellow flames on the wing tip and got a break in the humidity today (looked at Acu weather and saw a drop around noon) it dropped to below 68% and I shot the clear. All worked well. We are ready to do battle again will start practice this weekend.

Best,          DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: silk  covering 

Advertise Here