News:

• May 04, 2024, 09:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: solvent-based auto paint vs. water-based?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
solvent-based auto paint vs. water-based?
« on: December 31, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
There is a Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint store near my home and I stopped in the other day to see what they had in paint usable for my models.  I am repainting one of my older models with base-coat/clear-coat and have the white base laid down.  But I need to buy some trim colors.  When I asked the guy behind the counter if they had water-based, he said that they only carried solvent-based paint.

Now I am confused.  I am not an expert in this area, but I thought that water-based was about the only thing used on auto's these days and that solvent-based was no longer used on autos.

Any of you have the expertise to explain this?  What am I missing?

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: solvent-based auto paint vs. water-based?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
Auto paints these days are generally urethanes.  Single stage for colors and catalyzed for top coat. They are not solvent based per se. They use various carriers depending on the paint brand. There are also water based urethane colors. They need a catalyzed clear topcoat. Tried those a couple of years ago. I won't again.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
There is a Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint store near my home and I stopped in the other day to see what they had in paint usable for my models.  I am repainting one of my older models with base-coat/clear-coat and have the white base laid down.  But I need to buy some trim colors.  When I asked the guy behind the counter if they had water-based, he said that they only carried solvent-based paint.

Now I am confused.  I am not an expert in this area, but I thought that water-based was about the only thing used on auto's these days and that solvent-based was no longer used on autos.

Any of you have the expertise to explain this?  What am I missing?

Scott,

Why water base paint and why auto base coat / clear coat? Been reading?
You have the model in white ready for trim so what is the white paint you used?

Yes, you can use water base paints.

I've used the Tamiya air brush colors before on a few of my models. My Stuka and my Mig-3. Excellent covering. Water base but you don't thin them with water, there are correct thinners. I purchased mine from a Hobby Shop in FL that ships. You can buy Tamiya all over the place from many dealers that ship. Excellent, excellent paint.

Yes, you will need a clear top coat of auto 2 part urethane. The clear 2K urethane have been mentioned many times in this Forum. I currently only use a clear 2K urethane in an aerosol can and they are excellent. I have this clear on ALL my models. I personally would never use any other clear than this produce. Yes a professional respirator is necessary. You do not want to spray a 2K urethane product without using one.

You can use aerosol cans also if you like for trim colors. I use Krylon brand. There are things to know, even when opening a can to mix paint that you push through spray equipment. Prep, sanding, cleaning etc.

Here's one Tamiya color chart. Outstanding color choices?

CB

PS. I forgot one thing. Tamiya paints are also offered in small aerosol cans AND in lacquer. I used their aerosol can paints but I have never used their lacquer paints.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:10:43 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
The auto industry was FORCED to change from solvent to water base by The EPA.  The water base paint needs to be oven-baked.  The old solvent base could be air dried.  This effectively eliminates any chance of using auto paint on model airplanes.

It also drove the cost of car-painting through the roof.  That's way cars & trucks painted in non-EPA countries are cheaper than US products.
Paul Smith

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:13:21 AM »
That explains why Teslas are so expensive.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »
The auto industry was FORCED to change from solvent to water base by The EPA.  The water base paint needs to be oven-baked.  The old solvent base could be air dried.  This effectively eliminates any chance of using auto paint on model airplanes.

It also drove the cost of car-painting through the roof.  That's way cars & trucks painted in non-EPA countries are cheaper than US products.

I think California ruined their paint industry because of EPA requirements. I know automotive single and two stage paint in urethane is still available in many many states. Warehouses full of the product! And it will continue to be available for quite some time.

Most of the suppliers who have and "can" sell urethane paint, really don't do much with the water base automotive products, as Paul explained above.

Tamyia is great water base paint. Tamyia has lacquer, and Tamyia has tiny aerosol cans. Choose wisely.

Yes, I've used all of Tamyia's stuff. I even have a few unused cans hanging around. I may use the yellow I have on my Gee Bee Z. If it's the correct yellow?

For those that have and use spray equipment, I've said this many times over many years. Body shops rarely keep used cans of paint. Sooooooo, if you develop a relationship with a shop, or many, they may give you their used paint cans with ample enough paint for your model's color. One way to "not" buy it. Same with sign shops and vinyl. They will give you their scraps, large and small.

Free is a great thing.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here