Author Topic: Silk  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Silk
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »
Where's the best place to get silk fabric to cover a plane? I have a small project I'd like to do in silk.

Thanks,
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Silk
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Get your wife a nice silk scarf, and steal a couple of feet of it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
Where's the best place to get silk fabric to cover a plane? I have a small project I'd like to do in silk.

Thanks,

Randy,

Here's the link to the Vendor I use. I tried a few.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-5mm.html

Really nice silk.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
Randy,
  As Charles suggested and I've had very good luck with Thai silks. I've been using their 4.5mm "paj" with good results. I've had good results with Rit dye as well.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
There are several sources... I personally prefer Dharma

I highly recommend going to the Dharma site and reading all their help and description areas

Momme MM as in 5MM or 8MM is a weight and weave standard...8MM is a tighter and heavier weave than 5MM

That said, I have yards of both the slightly lighter (per yard) 5 MM....but seems to me, to need a tad MORE dope to fill than the heavier 8MM so final finish weight is about the same within a few grams...this is just my opinion based on how I determine final fill and glossy

Note: the 5MM stuff can be bought cheap and white...almost all the 8MM stuff is colored.... Dharma has excellent series of how to's on all their different dye methods

Since for me, there is no reason to stick with 5MM white and then the expense of time and cost for dyes...My opinion is to not worry about 8MM being heavier  if they have a color that fits your final color scheme

As much as I would love to support the Cottage Guys their silk is way too expensive....Thai or Dharma have plenty of stock in all sorts of colors well under $5 per yard

ONE hint

Thai or Dharma silk shrinks 1 to 2% in width and 6 to 7% in length...DO NOT BUY a 1 yard/36" by 1 yard/36" SQUARE  piece...near impossible to determine length vs width....suck it up and just buy two yards...easy, still cheap, done, and no problem NOW knowing how to cut it for the wing panel....

Hint #2...today's silks do NOT shrink as much as the 1950~1970s stuff and a lot of it NOW has sizing chems added...
SO pay attention to orientation
Pre wash/rinse in clear hot water...no soap
Let dry if later project... as drying--- stretch it in both directions
DO NOT apply the silk sloppy wet...just barley damp and stretch as you go doping down the perimeter
Use Butryate Tautening for the initial first two or three fill layers then switch to NON Tautening

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »
Thanks. I haven't used silk in many moons, though I did a lot of planes in silk back in the day. Thanks for the links and advice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
Just to emphasis... I said it before and Ty just mentioned it.... every MFG sells silk with some form of SIZING agent

and the singular propose it to make cutting and packaging easier and faster.... silk is a very slippery material and damned hard to fold into small mailer packages

SO again: order enough to know for certain Length vs width
Just before use or before storage...rinse and rinse and rinse again in hot water only...no soap

I recommend continual stretching as it dries but not that critical

Every failure I had was trying to use the stuff as delivered...grin quite a bit of waste because I never asked the right questions and did NOT read the web site FAQs on CHINA SILK....

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
Thanks, guys