News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Lite Coat Clear Dope  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Lite Coat Clear Dope
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
I have heard claims that the Sig Lite Coat Clear is more fuel resistant than the Brodak clear.  Has anyone done any testing to see if that is true? 

My tests showed that the Brodak Crystal Clear has zero, if any fuel resistance.  Once fuel hit it, the gloss disappeared when the fuel was wiped off.  The "regular" Brodak clear was a little better.  The Randolph non-tautening clear was the best of the three but, of course, not entirely fuel proof.  Just more resistant than the other two.  In time, I noticed that the gloss was fading as well.  It just took a little longer.

I have not used the Sig Lite Coat clear so I have no personal experience with it.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: Sig Lite Coat Clear Dope
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »
I have heard claims that the Sig Lite Coat Clear is more fuel resistant than the Brodak clear.  Has anyone done any testing to see if that is true? 

My tests showed that the Brodak Crystal Clear has zero, if any fuel resistance.  Once fuel hit it, the gloss disappeared when the fuel was wiped off.  The "regular" Brodak clear was a little better.  The Randolph non-tautening clear was the best of the three but, of course, not entirely fuel proof.  Just more resistant than the other two.  In time, I noticed that the gloss was fading as well.  It just took a little longer.

I have not used the Sig Lite Coat clear so I have no personal experience with it.

Hi Jim,

I agree with Ty - although for the buildup coats from the balsa through ready for color I use Randolph non-tautening clear butyrate mainly because I have a lot of it on hand for the shop and it is a high-quality dope.  For colors I use Randolph butyrate mainly because of the huge selection of colors compared to other manufacturers.  For the topcoat clear through ready to sand and polish I always use Sig Light Coat clear.  It finishes beautifully and seems to have better fuel resistance than any other clear I have used.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
There is a hobby shop about 25 miles from me that has had dope on hand, both Brodak and Sig.  Maybe they have some Sig Lite Coat clear and I can get some and give it a try.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
I called the hobby shop.  They have no Sig Lite Coat Clear.  I was told they had no idea when more would arrive since Sig had a problem supplying them.  So, I ordered a quart of the clear and a quart of the thinner directly from Sig.  I hope it is not back ordered.  No confirmation that it has been shipped.

Yes, Sig and Brodak dope prices are quite high.  That is why I get the Randolph whenever possible from a local aircraft supply.  I usually get the Randolph thinner, non-tautening clear, and Insignia White since I use those the most.   

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:12:49 PM »
This "plasticizer" stuff is just some castor oil.  A few drops per pint of butyrate holds down the shrinking, and keeps the finish from drying out and cracking.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here