News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Aerogloss Dope Question  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Old Aerogloss Dope Question
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
Hi again. Last night I got a couple bottles and cans of old Aerogloss Dope. The black in the little jar is lumpy, and do not know if that will be salvageable with thinner, and I also got the can pictured below. I am assuming that it is Butyrate as it says Hot Fuel Proof. Anyways, it is VERY watery and runny, or is this theeway the old stuff was. This is from another persond deceased father so I am not sure if he had diluted it with thinner or not. The can looks good, but inside I see some small patches of rust in turn I believe making the clear dope dark in color ( I cannot see the bottom of the can ) But when I dipped my balsa in it to try it, it had just a very light discoloration, almost undetectable. Would this still be fine to use to build-up my basecoats of dope prior to using color. I did a small sample, and it does seem to work, however, just very watery as stated earlier. As well, I plan on filtering the dope through a filter and putting it into a mason jar if it is feasible to keep it.

There is also another larger rectangular metal can with small screw on lid that had no label and is unmarked. I would like to believe that it was Aerogloss Thinner, but without any markings I am not sure, nor can I be so will ultimately be throwing it out. Thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: Old Aerogloss Dope Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
Well, just a little update. I had a very thickened 1 Oz jar of white dope that I just added a bit of the mystery liquid to. It curdled it and hardened it up instantly. That would also explain the same situation of the black dope in the jar.... Just for the record, I did not add it to the black jar though. So the fluid will remain a mystery, and I will now toss it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
The unmarked can could be anything, including glow fuel, alcohol, etc. What does your sniffer think it might be?

Personally, if I was given some Aero Gloss, I'd either decline, or accept in a grateful manner, and then dispose of it in the EPA approved method. That is to spread it out on newspapers, tarp, or such, allow to dry, then put it in the garbage. It isn't butyrate dope, it went through various forms, nobody knows what it really is/was, and it's not predictably compatible with anything you can buy now, so do yourself a favor and 86 it.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
Sniffer tells me it is some kind of reducer or thinner. Most definately not glow fuel. It did work good to clean my brush though so I am leaning to some sort of solvent. But as is it is unknown, I will end up disposing of it just to be safe. Thank you.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
If there is a food that made you very sick you would not eat it. Aero gloss will make your planes finish sick,do not use it.
Ed
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:33:21 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:17:12 AM »
I remember when I was very young getting a 4 oz bottle of Aero Gloss and I wanted to finish a model. I added it to the Aero Gloss that I had and it curdled immediately. I had got caught with two different formulas of the dope and it rendered the lot useless. I remember that 60 cents was a real loss to me then. They could have at least put new and improved on it .

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:27:54 AM »
I find this all funny and strange. So much hatred for the Aerogloss stuff, yet it has been around for quite some time, and there are many threads about it. I had not read much good about it, but how has it managed to stay around this long is still beyond me. This is said in question and in no way meant to start anything. I just find it funny.

Now, with that said, I may have to do a test with it and see how it reacts to rattle can paint. As in just using it for the bare wood to fill the grain and then topcoat with another product. All in time in the name of testing.....

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Oh, cool. More companies that I have not heard of making dope. Thanks for explaining that. Things I never knew.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »
No, not hell bent by any means. I will just use it on meaningless stuff I want to play with it on. I will not be using it on any airplanes to be on teh safe side. Thank you.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here