News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Settled Dope  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Settled Dope
« on: November 17, 2018, 02:41:44 PM »
Hi there. So today I picked up a few cans of Sig Dope. They are older and were stored indoors. After getting home, one can looked like jelly when opened up, the clear had hardened by about 95%, and another can was as thick as you could make it. Anyways, the 3 remaining cans appear all ok, with the exception that the pigment has all settled down to the bottom of the can. Would a good shake on a paint shaker bring it back to life, or is there something else I would have to do? Never had dope do this before, but wanted to save it before it got any worse. The pigment in the bottom is still liquid and not hard blobs. Thank you.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Settled Dope
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Chancey,

If you can find some other jars to transfer the best of each to, then you have more room in each old bottle to add thinner to. If you can get the solids broken down, then you can mix the loosened up stuff with the thinner parts poured off earlier.

I've salvaged some pretty rough stuff before. It may not look as good as new, but it will be usable. Most dope needs to be thinned to use anyway. Somewhere between here, CEF , and RCG, (and/or possibly on facebook) I have a video of my DIY paint shaker that shakes the bottom, but hinges, or swings from just below the lid. This keeps the dope from pushing past the threads of the lid.

The unit is made to take the rotary motion of a drill, and convert it to reciprocation. The beauty is the speed control. An awful lot of dope can be restored slowly over time with this unit..

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
Thank you. And Jim, I will hopefullt find your video this evening. Would be nice to see. I'll look around to see if I can find it.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
Stirred, not shaken as James Bond would say.

Get some paint stirring sticks from the Home Depot or cut some from scrap.  You really need to physically dig the pigment off the bottom of the can.  Don't use old props, the thinner will dissolve the finish from the prop and pollute the mix.

If you have quart or gallon cans and are on good terms with your local store you can get them to re-shake them on their machine.
Paul Smith

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
Thanks Paul. I did give them a stir yesterday. The dope in question is in cans and I am in good terms with my local hardware store. As well, my buddy has a shaker as well. I like his cause I can put them on the shaker there and enjoy some cocktails while I let them shake themselves silly as there is no time limit there.... ;D

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
Do not use a shaker as it will add bubbles that are hard to remove . Just thin it with Lacquer thinner
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 06:42:03 AM »
Products called paint thinner and lacquer are not the same. Paint thinner is for oil base paint thinning not dope
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here