News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mica Powders-anybody tried this?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mica Powders-anybody tried this?
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
On my latest project I wanted some gold dope but of course that can't be had.  On my 1985 Nats Music i had some gold I made using a bronze tinting powder I got at an art supply store.  The store still exists here in the area but the powders are long gone.  I googled and found a company that makes/sells mica powders for tinting.  I ordered some to put in clear dope and make the gold dope.  They have a few other neat colors I may try including a silver pearl and copper mica.  I'm curious if anyone had tried this with these products and how it went.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:17:24 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mica Powers-anybody tried this?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:58 PM »

Hi Dave,

Gold butyrate dope (Reno gold) is made by Randolph; available from Aircraft Spruce, for one source. I have a quart of it (a life time supply, I expect.)
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:25:47 AM »
Hello Bill. Now I know. Thanks.  I actually just ordered/used the first Randolph dope ever-some nitrate to shrink silk better.  It works well for that.  I always have used Sig colors since that was what the LHS has.  Guess I'll try this since I have it but I'll look into the Randolph.  I use Certified clear. Any compatibility problems?

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Mica Powders-anybody tried this?
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
You can buy fine gold flakes just mix with a clear and push it through an air brush.

I've used them for some applications but never on a model airplane.

I'm thinking of using a bit of this on Pushy Galore.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
Charles,

Any idea what is the smallest size nozzle that works with those flakes?

Lauri

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
Charles,

Any idea what is the smallest size nozzle that works with those flakes?

Lauri

Lauri,

That's an interesting question.

My guess is you would have do tests with various sizes and examine the results.

I'd start with the largest tip and work my way down.

Also, I would abide by the thinning recommendations especially if masking was to take place over it.

A quality 'jam gun,' as we called it, or a 'detail gun,' as most call it today, do spray a small circular pattern.

Could be an easier consideration?

I hate cleaning spray equipment.

There are peel n stick vinyls that have the same look. I might do some experimenting with these also.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
Hello Bill. Now I know. Thanks.  I actually just ordered/used the first Randolph dope ever-some nitrate to shrink silk better.  It works well for that.  I always have used Sig colors since that was what the LHS has.  Guess I'll try this since I have it but I'll look into the Randolph.  I use Certified clear. Any compatibility problems?

Dave

Hi Dave,

You will have no compatibility problems with Certified and Randolph as long as you don't put nitrate over butyrate or try to use nitrate thinner in butyrate dope (I know you are well aware of this but I wanted to add this for those who may not realize that.)  However, butyrate thinner works just fine in nitrate dope and I keep only butyrate thinner on hand to thin nitrate dope for full-scale projects requiring the use of nitrate.  I do not use nitrate dope on my models at all.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
Another option is automotive pigment.  They will mix any shade you want, just don't get it with binder.  It mixes well with butyrate and covers like crazy.  Now, having said that, my latest project has gold and I used Randolph.  I now have a lifetime supply.  Cost works out about the same, a little more sometimes for auto paint depending on the color. 
Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
Another option is automotive pigment.  They will mix any shade you want, just don't get it with binder.  It mixes well with butyrate and covers like crazy.  Now, having said that, my latest project has gold and I used Randolph.  I now have a lifetime supply.  Cost works out about the same, a little more sometimes for auto paint depending on the color.

Mike,

Interesting that you mentioned automotive products.

This would open the door to a million combinations in color, especially in the 'World of Pearl."

I did suggest years ago painting models using auto paint systems and clear coats, but it only got me trolled and bullied.

I see now, years later, their finally learning.

Well some anyway.

Same thing with glass cloth and resin, as we used in R/C for years to finish our models. Poo-pooed also.

That's also starting to catch on.

I will never tell the Forum "I told you so."  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
Mike,

This would open the door to a million combinations in color, especially in the 'World of Pearl."

I did suggest years ago painting models using auto paint systems and clear coats, but it only got me trolled and bullied.

Well some anyway.

Same thing with glass cloth and resin, as we used in R/C for years to finish our models. Poo-pooed also.

I will never tell the Forum "I told you so."  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

We have tried to get through to your delusional little world and tell you that you were NOT the first person to use automotive finishing products on model airplanes and introduce it to the rest of the real world. That has been going on since well before the internet and the stunt forums. And the same for glass cloth and resin. You do not actively fly model airplanes to see the end result of the practices, just build hanger queens. You do not use your real name, so we can't look you up in contest results or see if we can find anyone who remembers you hoisting the Walker Cup or wing the Tournament of Champions R/C Pattern event in Las Vegas. Not of the photos you have ever posted have an AMA number on them, which means you were never a member of the AMA  or flew in any AMA sanctioned events of any kind. So until you can provide some kind of validation for winning or even entering a contest, either currently or at any time previously, quit making claims that you are the father of of all aircraft finishes. This is not trolling or bullying, (which I am convinced that you do not know the meaning of either word) , just calling you out and stating some facts. I don't care what kind of photos you put up of airplanes you allegedly built and finished. Again, hanger queens all.
    And you just told the forum "I told you so", AGAIN!! HB~> HB~>

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »
 H^^

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:23:23 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
Ok Chuck, this is Dave's thread.  I can guarantee you he is not interested in vinyl stick junk on his NATS  airplanes any more than the rest of are interested polyester resin.  I have pictures.  I won't post them here.  Dan

has pictures.  We are not that vain.

Mica powder was the question.  I haven't tried it, I also haven't built any RC aircraft of any kind.  Everything I build I fly, so does Dan.

See you in Muncie.  Put up or shut up.

You like movie quotes.  "The truth? You can't handle the truth."

I'm done with this.
Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »
 H^^
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:22:01 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Boy I go get some flights in and you boys are in a donnybrook!   Charles I know you can do some impressive work in vinyl.  I've been screwing up my own stuff for a long while now and will continue to do so.....Thanks!
I had a rough time on a couple old nostalgia combat ships I built over the winter and covered in silk.  I tried Certified tautening and Sig Supercoat but it took MANY coats to get the silk to pull up tight.  They still have some dimples.  When my son in law was ready to cover his new profile I suggested he should cover it in silk and I'd show him how to use it.  (Little did he know I wanted to experiment with the Randolph tautening on HIS airplane!)  As it turned out his FIRST silk job looked better than anything I have done in silk.  The Randolph works like magic.  My new ship will have the Randolph clear, Sig colors and Certified top clear.....
Mike you and Bill both have lifetime supplies.  You should re-bottle it in four ounce jars and sell it!  Bill I remember from days of old about butyrate OVER nitrate and never the other way.  I'd prefer to use Butyrate on the bare wood from the beginning for fuel proofing but it is what it is....think I see a lot of silking in my future.  Lauri I have always had at least some issues getting anything metallic through my airbrush.  It usually has to be almost too thin and yet I still have to stop and flush it out pretty often.  I have found a heavy dose of retarder seems to help .

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »
Dave,

Glad you get flights in, it's relaxing isn't it?

I tried Certified tautening and Sig Supercoat but it took MANY coats to get the silk to pull up tight.

I don't rely on chemical products to tighten the silk I use. In fact, I now apply silk dry with CA!!

And will continue to do so.

Sure, 'out of the box thinking,' but it works well and I did my last wing top on the ARGO II in only 2 minutes!!

Photos and text are in the ARGO II build. CHECK IT OUT!!!

I defy ANYONE to apply silk tighter than the results I get applying silk dry with CA.

But, like with anything, there are techniques and it's worth the learning.

"Try it, you'll like it." LL~

Small combat models, bet you could do both sides in minutes, ready for Butyrate clear.

Nitrate dope? A product I personally don't need.

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Charles somehow I sense a disconnect here.  I suppose you can stick silk down with about anything you choose.  It’s about what happens after that.  You must put something on it.  On the first coat of any dope the silk loosens, sags and wrinkles up like crazy.  Unlike silkspan which will tighten right back up -more so and tighter than it started with- silk at the very best will only go back to whatever its natural dry state was and not more.  The hard part is getting it to get back THAT much.  That’s why it’s applied wet, to let it loosen and stretch as much as possible and then let it pull back to where it was dry.  In this case the Randolph has better shrinking qualities and seems to work best.  You haven’t said what you are putting on the silk afterwards.  You must be putting something on it.  If over open bays it has to be chemical and it has to shrink a bunch.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
   Chuck never flies his models, so he won't have to worry about what might happen if they ever get off the ground. He must not sand the wing much either, or else he would know what  that will do and problems it will cause by applying silk with C/A. He can't understand that there are reasons no one else does it, and it's not because he's smarter than everybody else. I guess that is the advantage of building hanger queens. It sure must be lonely outside that box!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Charles somehow I sense a disconnect here.

Dave, This can be a good thing.  LL~ 

It’s about what happens after that.  You must put something on it.

Yes I do, I use only Sig Supercoat.   

On the first coat of any dope the silk loosens, sags and wrinkles up like crazy.

Mine doesn't, I must use magic silk.  LL~, I said there's application techniques. I get trolled by jealous resentment haters, so no one listens to me. I'm fine with that, it's not my loss.

Notice I've 'backed off' on the Forum a bit.

Unlike silkspan which will tighten right back up -more so and tighter than it started with- silk at the very best will only go back to whatever its natural dry state was and not more.

Silkspan. Yes, the least expensive product kit manufactures can put in the box. I used silkspan on the wing of my Gee Bee Z. Took more coats to fill it than the silk I use. I believe one wing wrinkled
a bit. I used a heat gun.

GADS! A heat gun. Don't start any fires.

The hard part is getting it to get back THAT much.

The way I do silk, I find nothing hard or difficult about it. It's all in my builds. Sure, I started out doing silk wet, but I progressed to what I consider a better method.

That’s why it’s applied wet, to let it loosen and stretch as much as possible and then let it pull back to where it was dry.

I'm not sure that's correct? Even Sparky says silk doesn't stretch all that much. I've applied silk both ways. I'll stay with my dry application method. The way I work, 'efficiency' and time is important. I'm old and I'm running out of time.

In this case the Randolph has better shrinking qualities and seems to work best.

I have absolutely no use for any Randolph product. I'll shout that from the rooftops. Sold what I had because I didn't like it. And yes, I gave Randolph plenty of effort.

You haven’t said what you are putting on the silk afterwards.

Yes I have, plenty of times, in every build or finishing Thread I put up. All the information is there. As I said, I get trolled by jealous resentment haters, so no one listens to me or visits CFC Graphics where some of my builds are.

These trolls probably have Forum members convinced I know absolutely nothing.

I'm fine with that, it's not my loss because, as I said many times, I just do my thing.

Just so you know.

Yes, Sig Supercoat is all I use on the wings. I fill the grain with Sig Supercoat, then apply silk dry with CA. Finish with coats of Sig Supercoat. I did the Gee Bee Z fuselage and tail feathers this way and the GBR3 wings the way And the ARGO II wings this way. Photos and text in my builds.  ;D

Charles

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
Mike,

Well some anyway.

NO ONE is using polyester resin and glass cloth, that was rejected RC crap almost 50 years ago.

You are about 40-50 years late on automotive finishes and the use of automotive toners, too. Why is it that you have to try to claim credit for something you have essentially no knowledge or experience with?

We don't disregard the use of these products, we disregard anything you might say about it because you are a troll imbecile. And because you are so slow on the uptake, you don't even recognize that absolutely everyone has long since figured out you are an internet bullshit artist, and keep doing it as if you are somehow scoring points. This includes the people you claim as a constituency, the sport fliers and casual competitors.

Now run back to Sparky and whine some more, maybe you can get the thread locked or deleted again.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
Well I see one of the hanger queens on the bay and the starting price has been reduced some but still to much for me to even consider.   I quit using silk and nylon when I quit combat.  Have used butyrate almost exclusively in dope products.  My favorite finish is the K&B epoxy paint which is no longer available, especially for laying down light weigh glass cloth for a base.  Now I use a finishing system that seems to work with out using dope.   Granted they are not 20 point finishes, but they work for me.

Now how many members do we have in the troll club?  S?P S?P S?P

By the way I've seen Dave's planes in person and can attest to the fact they are top notch finishes.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
 H^^

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:20:16 PM by Avaiojet »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here