News:

• May 20, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did I do wrong and how do I fix?  (Read 1811 times)

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
What did I do wrong and how do I fix?
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
I keep getting these hairy spots.  The wing is covered with polyspan, had spots where I went through and had patched with silkspan and Brodak rejuvinator (the entire finish is Brodak).  What did I do wrong and what is the fix?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: What did I do wrong and how do I fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
I think you answered your own question.  What you did wrong was sanding through.  With polyspan you want to put 4-5 coats of dope on before sanding so that you dont even sand down to the polyspan, much less through it.

Work on developing your sanding skills.  In areas where you sometimes sand thru by mistake while sanding an adjacent area, you need to protect those with masking tape or some form of shield.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
I am simply not skilled enough to sand a clear filler coat without sanding down through the base primer underneath.  The only way that I can reliably avoid sanding through is to have a base of at least a slightly contrasting color, and pigmented primer.  As soon as I see the last of the primer feathering away, I stop (well, at least I try -- then curse myself if I give in and sand "just a bit more").  Then I put on another coat of filler, and start sanding again.

The idea of fill/sand is that you build up everything, then sand down the high spots to the base material -- if you're sanding into the base material then you've gone too far, and (as you're finding) you may well have to do a bunch of repair just to get yourself back to where you were before you sanded that spot "just a bit more".

I haven't been painting with dope for ages, but I'd seal the polyspan with clear, put on a coat of whatever dark I had lying around (maybe mixed with clear -- it doesn't need to be pretty, just dark), then use Brodak's gray primer for the filler.  Then, any time I started seeing dark, I'd stop sanding that spot.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
>>I am simply not skilled enough to sand a clear filler coat without sanding down through the base primer underneath.<<

We have a trick for this: practice.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
I take it you are referring to the Polyspan Fuzzies.  Pete Peterson, master of Polyspan, to whom I am but knee high, told me to fear not the Fuzzies, but to give them a toot of clear and then sand with fine sandpaper.  I found that 1000-grit works a treat. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
I take it you are referring to the Polyspan Fuzzies.  Pete Peterson, master of Polyspan, to whom I am but knee high, told me to fear not the Fuzzies, but to give them a toot of clear and then sand with fine sandpaper.  I found that 1000-grit works a treat. 

Exactly. It's happened to me, too. Couple of coats of clear and light sanding. The problem goes away.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
 It's also possible that you have put down the Polyspan with the wrong side up. If so, it will be almost impossible to sand without getting fuzzies and will take a LOT of extra clear before any sanding to help the problem. It might even be a better decision to just peel it up and start over if you have attached it upside down.

Also, if your "hand is too heavy" to sand things without sanding through, try using a lesser grit to give yourself a chance to catch the problem earlier. Always think patience and finesse when sanding, and stop more often than you are to check progress.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »
Tim's technique of using a guide coat is a good one.  As said it doesn't need to be pretty, just cover.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
It's also possible that you have put down the Polyspan with the wrong side up. If so, it will be almost impossible to sand without getting fuzzies and will take a LOT of extra clear before any sanding to help the problem. It might even be a better decision to just peel it up and start over if you have attached it upside down.

Also, if your "hand is too heavy" to sand things without sanding through, try using a lesser grit to give yourself a chance to catch the problem earlier. Always think patience and finesse when sanding, and stop more often than you are to check progress.
I did make sure that I had the correct side up, I got the stuff from Tom Morris and doubled checked with him before I procedded.  I think my problem is that I still haven't learned to have a soft touch with the sand paper.

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
The contrasting guide coat works good if you are doing an opaque finish.  One time I used a yellow domestic tissue instead of silkspan to cover the solid surfaces and that worked like a guide coat. 
Right now I am working on a transparent finish with a polyspan wing so a guide coat is not an option.  Nothing but clear and tinted dope.  I wait till I have 5~6 coats and use sponge backed sanding pads, no problem with sanding thru.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »
That is my favorite thing about Polyspan so far: it's not easy to sand through on edges.  The Fuzzies are a much lesser problem.  I used PT Granderson's* finishing system and put some dark blue in with the talc and clear dope filler.  The result acted as a guide coat, I guess.  The Fuzzies, when they appeared, were a light blue color quite different from the rest of the filler.  That's when I knew to stop sanding and put a dab of clear on the fuzzy area.

*of the Jive Combat Team
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
You are skilled enough......you just haven't developed that skill.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »
Randy : Where can I buy some of this "practice" you speak of?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
I did make sure that I had the correct side up, I got the stuff from Tom Morris and doubled checked with him before I procedded.  I think my problem is that I still haven't learned to have a soft touch with the sand paper.

Thanks,

James

HI James,

What grit were you using?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
HI James,

Thanks
Bill

Don't use  grit !!

;D

Randy

Online James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
HI James,

Thanks
Bill
Bill, I started with 400 and went to 600.  I think part of the problem is I needed more clear dope after I put the polyspan on the wing and silkspan on the rest.  Still lots to learn.  I've made some progress, have it down to just a few "hairy" spots.

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
I have used quite a bit of Poly-span in the last few years.   I used when I got my first roll at VSC many years ago before the gentleman let it go commercial.   Even a copy of the Flying Models article was given me at the time.   Sparky put me onto this,  two coats of dope, clear, then let it set for a day.   Light, very light sanding and then two more coats of clear dope.   When the dope starts to get a sheen to it, then think talc and dope it you are doing a color  finish.   On my latest plane which will stay clear I now have 10 coats of clear.  By the way I use butyrate from bare wood on to final coat.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
Doc,
I may have to shelve this plane for a bit.  I just got my compressor fixed and it started messing up again today. 

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Bill, I started with 400 and went to 600.  I think part of the problem is I needed more clear dope after I put the polyspan on the wing and silkspan on the rest.  Still lots to learn.  I've made some progress, have it down to just a few "hairy" spots.

James

Hi James,

Yep, I would say that you simply need more dope on the surface before you begin to sand on it.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here