News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Third bad roll of Ultracote!  (Read 679 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Third bad roll of Ultracote!
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »
I have been hurrying this week, to get a 1/2A project done. It is a great design by Bruce Feaver called the White Lightning.  Hoping to learn to fly inverted and also want a plane to fly with the grand-kids.  All sanded and ready for Ultracote, and the backing pulled the color off the film...again.  I had exactly the same thing happen with another role while attempting to apply Ultracote to my Magician, so I tried another roll and the same thing.  That's 3 rolls in a row.  Anyone else have this happen?  I have covered 4 planes with U'cote and love the way it works, but this is getting silly, and expensive.  I've heard that Brodak covering is good, and I will try that tomorrow.  Any feed back would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Third bad roll of Ultracote!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »
I have used a bunch of Ultracote and never had your problem but I have had it stick to itself once the backing is off. I see you are in Texas and that makes me wonder if the rolls you have have been exposed to extreme heat? 
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:08:24 AM »
I have used a bunch of Ultracote and never had your problem but I have had it stick to itself once the backing is off. I see you are in Texas and that makes me wonder if the rolls you have have been exposed to extreme heat?  
That would be my guess too. Especially if it came to you via a UPS truck.

I prefer Ultra to Mono, but due to convenience I've been using Monokote lately and have gotten used to it. With Monokote, the temperature range for adhesion and shrinking overlap, where with Ultracote they are distinctly separate temps on the iron. That's my biggest preference for Ultra. I know, nobody asked, I just thought I'd add my $.02. :)

Keep us posted on your progress learning to fly inverted and stunts We'd love to hear about it.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
You might be able to address the "expensive" part by taking the rolls back to whoever you got them from.  I haven't seen a hint of that problem with Ultracoat, although it's happened to me once with a very old roll of Monocoat.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Steve

Interesting you bring up that description of Ultracote and it's problems.  Over the years (many), I did switch from Mono to Ultra.  My last stunter was very problematic using Ultra....I noted some of the same symptoms as you stated. My supply of Ultra "was" stored in the Attic, seems that Ultra wants to do some odd things when stored in "above average temps".  Now I've gone back to Monokote, sometimes old habits are hard to break   But keep things cool!!

Dave
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here