News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rustoleum gloss protective enamel?  (Read 740 times)

Offline Chris Lambdin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Rustoleum gloss protective enamel?
« on: December 25, 2022, 03:51:23 PM »
Might use Rustoleum protective enamel on my twister. Looking for prep and application tips and advice?

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rustoleum gloss protective enamel?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 04:11:15 PM »
Might use Rustoleum protective enamel on my twister. Looking for prep and application tips and advice?

Search, search, search, search and then search again on the forums. You will find that there is hour upon hour of reading about people's trials and tribulations, successes and failures with using rattle can spray paints. There are many versions of Rustoleum paints and what you use is important to the process. Enamel generally is NOT fuel resistant. Some Rustoleum paints are more like a urethane. The late Alan Brickhaus did the most work experimenting with this finishing method and he spelled it out in a few of his published design articles, with the " Begin the Beguine" Mustang kit bash article. He spelled out which Rustoleum and other off brand paints to use, and again, not all colors of Rustoleum will work. It's primarily the regular Rustoleum solid colors that are what you want. Most information will be in the finishing section.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 05:15:45 PM »
I tried it over the standard Rustoleum color satin (sky blue and white) and it didn't please me.  Not much shine and took forever to dry.  This picture is AFTER the gloss clear. It is not the same base from what I hear.

Ken
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:01:39 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
I used Rustoleum on a number of planes, mostly big and small profile stunters.  The main help at the time was the top price paints.  One must avoid high humidity. 1st prime coat should be a tough autobody filler.  Once that dries thoroughly sand it almost all off- progressively going from 200 grit to 400 and one more step if needed.  I used a base color coat of white.  That took the colored paint nicely, usually fairly thin coats.  You can apply a clear epoxy or other finish coat but it really isn't necessary.

Rustoleum does take at least a month to actually cure solidly.  A nice, warm, calm, dust-free room is ideal.  If not, there are various ways to set up a paint booth to contain any overspray.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Chris Lambdin

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! Phil was the Rustoleum you used the protective gloss enamel? I was thinking about using a light grey for the base coat and taping it off for the canopy when I put the color coat on.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here