News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rustoleum Cure Time?  (Read 759 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rustoleum Cure Time?
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
How long should I let a Rustoleum top coat cure before I can count on it being fuel proof?  I know that Rustoleum recommends painting over earlier coats either within the hour or after 48 hours -- I assume that the one hour is before the stuff has flashed off completely, while the 48 hours means that it won't be attacked by the top layer of paint.

But I don't know what that equates to in terms of accidentally dumping fuel on it...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Rustoleum Cure Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
Rustoleum is one of those paints the the longer you let it cure the better it is. The recoat time is simply because it is it's own worst enemy if sprayed within the no recoat time. It will wrinke badly. Let it cure for about a week at the minimum and then go fly. If your not in a herry then let it sit for awhile longer.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
I don't know why, but I've had some that took several weeks to dry and some that always had that not quite dry feel to it.....but mostly the others
dried fully in 2-3 days

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
The one plane I have painted with Rustoleum set for a full 2 weeks.  So far raw fuel has not even caused any problems. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
My test sample painted with Rustoleum sat for two months before I thought to dribble fuel on it -- but I don't want to wait two months to put this plane in the air!

Granted, it's September and it's raining, so I may have to.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
Rustoleum is one of those paints the the longer you let it cure the better it is. The recoat time is simply because it is it's own worst enemy if sprayed within the no recoat time. It will wrinke badly. Let it cure for about a week at the minimum and then go fly. If your not in a herry then let it sit for awhile longer.
Thats a fact, I wrinkled the coating a set of Lionel prewar tinplate passenger cars by recoating either to late or too soon... really pi$$ed me off! HB~>
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here