News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:36:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rustoleum "Painters Touch" information.  (Read 10799 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rustoleum "Painters Touch" information.
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
I have been using Painter Touch paint from Rust-Oleum for some time now with great results, until last week.  I laid down a coat of yellow and the next day I wet sanded the paint and applied a coat of gloss clear.  The yellow began to wrinkle, it had to be sanded and repainted.  I sent a email to Rust-Oleum explaining what happened and below it their response.

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Aerosol paints will dry by oxidation. A skin forms on the surface, and then gets thicker as the solvent evaporates from the paint below the skin until eventually it is fully cured all the way through the coating.  If you recoat the paint before it has skinned over and begun to dry to the touch, the two paints dry like a single coat of paint. This skin-free time varies from paint to paint, but is usually about an hour or so at room temperature.

After the skin has started to form, it is very fragile and if recoated at the wrong time it may wrinkle, blister or crack.   Always refer to the can instructions for the proper recoat time, as this may vary from product to product.   Most of our paints can be top coated or recoated either within one hour or after 48 hours.  This means that you can topcoat within the first hour, while the previous coat is still tacky, however if the last coat has been drying for longer than an hour, you must then wait a full 48 hours before the next coat can be applied.    Cooler temperatures, higher humidity, or a heavy application can extend these recoat times.

In short, wait 15 minutes and repaint or wait 48 hours, but not overnight.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rustoleum "Painters Touch" information.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
Yup.

Their "Aerosol paints will dry by oxidation" is a bit incorrect.  Oil based enamel paints (like Rustoleum) will continue to cure by oxidization after the solvent has dried out of it (this is why folks tell you to wait two weeks before splashing fuel on your Rustoleum-painted model), but I don't think oxidization plays much of a role in lacquer-based finishes (i.e. Krylon).

(and two-part paints like epoxies cure by an entirely chemical process after the thinner (reducer, whatever) has flashed off -- the thinner is only there to give the stuff the right consistency for brushing or spraying).

Now Mark Scarborough can jump in and tell you where I'm wrong...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Yup.

Their "Aerosol paints will dry by oxidation" is a bit incorrect.  Oil based enamel paints (like Rustoleum) will continue to cure by oxidization after the solvent has dried out of it (this is why folks tell you to wait two weeks before splashing fuel on your Rustoleum-painted model), but I don't think oxidization plays much of a role in lacquer-based finishes (i.e. Krylon).

(and two-part paints like epoxies cure by an entirely chemical process after the thinner (reducer, whatever) has flashed off -- the thinner is only there to give the stuff the right consistency for brushing or spraying).

Now Mark Scarborough can jump in and tell you where I'm wrong...

well Tim,, sorry,, but yeah

quoted
Oxidation: Chemical reaction upon exposure to oxygen. Some coatings cure by oxidation, when oxygen enters the liquid coating and cross-links the resin molecules. This film-forming method is also called "Air Cure" and "Air Dry." (Oxidation also causes rust on bare metals.)

so, oxidation is in fact a valid statement,, depending upon the chemical composition of the paint,, it does "oxidize" in order to crosslink,, I believe this is how aerosol "epoxy" type paints cure,,

but to the point of this thread,, recoat sensitivity is a very critical component of paint application, lacquers typically dont have any issue with it, except for some cab lacquers which have a crosslinking component in the resin.
However, enamels, and virtually every other type of paint will have some recoat sensitivity,, when you violate it, it gets ugly,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Their "Aerosol paints will dry by oxidation" is a bit incorrect.  Oil based enamel paints (like Rustoleum) will continue to cure by oxidization after the solvent has dried out of it (this is why folks tell you to wait two weeks before splashing fuel on your Rustoleum-painted model), but I don't think oxidization plays much of a role in lacquer-based finishes (i.e. Krylon).

(i.e. Krylon) Is not lacquer its enamel

It's no wonder you are having trouble. To begin with, Krylon is no
 longer the Krylon you're used to. This is due to the EPA meddling in
 the product. I spent the last two weeks wasting money and trying to
 solve a wrinkling/lifting problem (very similar to your reptile skin
 appearance), including at least seven calls to Krylon. Desperation was
 setting in since I was modifying a large model I built two years ago
 for a land developer. Used Krylon at that time and had no problem and
 went into this project using exactly the same Krylon paint so that
 everything would be compatible. I thought. Boy, was I wrong!

Without making this story way too long, here it is in a nutshell. Up
 until a year ago, the Krylon that we've all been used to was an
 acrylic lacquer. Dries in 12 minutes and can be recoated without any
 worry relative to the previous coat reacting. Unfortunately, the EPA
 in their wisdom came up with regulations that resulted in Krylon
 reformulating their old, reliable acrylic lacquer into an oil-based
 enamel. Not just an ordinary enamel but an oil-based enamel. This has
 several very interesting and very bad results where the modelbuilder
 is concerned.

You now have a window of application, followed by an extended drying
 period before it can be resprayed. The instructions on the back of
 the can are very specific and MUST be followed to the letter. To begin
 with, spray a light coat, wait five minutes and spray another light
 coat. Repeat the process until you have the desired coverage. Keep in
 mind that all spraying MUST be completed within one hour or the
 underlying coats will wrinkle and lift. Not MAY but WILL. After that
 one hour time period, you MUST wait a minimum of 24 hours before
 applying another color coat or the previous coats that you thought
 were dry will...you guessed it....wrinkle and lift. Do be aware that
 24 hours in the MINIMUM waiting period. Depending on how many previous
 coats you applied in the one hour time frame, you may have to wait
 more than 24 hours to apply additional coats.

Although the instructions don't indicate the need for a base coat,
 this stuff is so weird that I would definitely recommend a primer
 base. However, even the primer is an oil-based enamel with the same
 window of application and drying time. Be that as it may, be sure to
 used the Krylon primer so that everything is compatible.

Finally, because you're dealing with an oil-based enamel, plan on an
 extended painting session and multiple coats in order to prevent runs.
 Because it doesn't have the 'tooth' or grab of acrylic lacquer,
 applying enough paint to attain an opaque coat...especially where
 white is concerned... white is concerned...<wbr>is guaranteed to result in

Oh, one last comment. According to Krylon, changing the formula from
 an acrylic lacquer to an oil-based enamel made the product more user
 friendly for the average consumer. I don't know about the average
 consumer, but it did just the opposite where the modelbuilder is
 concerned.

By the way, if you're still longing for the old Krylon acrylic
 lacquer, it can still be found. As an industrial paint. Order it from
 industrial suppliers in six-can quantities and use it over Dupi-Color
 Gray Primer and Filler that, as far as I know, can only be found in
 NAPA Auto Supply stores.

Don't get the idea that you can find another brand of spray paint that
 will do the same job with a shorter wait time. ALL of them have
 suffered at the hands of the EPA. The window of application ranges
 from one to four hours and the wait time to recoat can be as long as
 two to seven DAYS. You can also forget picking up pure lacquer
 automotive paint that used to made by DuPont and available from
 automotive paint stores. DuPont doesn't make it any more. Thank the
 EPA for that as well.

Hope some of this helps.

"Richard Marmo, IPMS/USA #2
 The Modeler's Weapons Shop
 Scale Publications
 Modelbuilding Services by Richard Marmo"
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Many years ago, there was an article in one of the model magazines.

This modeler painted his models, sprayed them actually, with: "Industrial" grade Rust-o-leum enamel.

Sold only in cans. Said the stuff, after curring a but, was fuel resistant and fuel proof.

Had nice models. Couple of large R/C biplanes were featured in the article.

Possibly someone may remember it?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
>>Oxidation also causes rust on bare metals<<

Not to be picky, but only iron rusts. Other metals oxidize (I know, rust IS oxidation but it's a semantics thing). Brass, aluminum, copper all will oxidize, too. Copper develops verdigris (oxidation). Brass, patina (also oxidation). I think only aluminum gets oxidase.

;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
wanted to confirm it so I sent an email to Krylon. Official answer:

.... Due to Federal VOC restrictions on solvent based paints, we were forced to change the formula from a lacquer to an alkyd. Lacquers can be recoated anytime, whereas alkyds need to be recoated within one hour or after 24 hours. Once the alkyd resin starts curing, if a new coat is applied over it, wrinkling will likely occur.

The old version is still available through our "Industrial" distribution as such products are not as regulated as "Consumer" paints are - which is our line. However, it will not have the new spray nozzle etc. You can find these products at such suppliers as Grainger or Fastenal.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?op=search&searchQuery=krylon+Krylon&Ntt=krylon+Krylon&sst
=All&L2=Paints&operator=mfgRefinementSearch&originalValue=krylon&L1=Krylon

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...tial&N=0&Nty=1

It is NOT fuel proof, fuel resistant is is not fuel anything so use at your own risk.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:30:29 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
Bob
I am assuming you put this information in this thread because you believe the same EPA issue applies to Rustoleum's Painters Touch brand of paints.  It sure seems to fit exactly what I experienced.  Also I don't ever remember this problem with regular Rustoleum or their Painters Touch version in the past.  This really caught me by surprise.
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
Bob
I am assuming you put this information in this thread because you believe the same EPA issue applies to Rustoleum's Painters Touch brand of paints.  It sure seems to fit exactly what I experienced.  Also I don't ever remember this problem with regular Rustoleum or their Painters Touch version in the past.  This really caught me by surprise.

Rustoleum's Painters Touch is a enamel
AMA 12366

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
I'll be painting my Yak-9, a T-28 and a friend's P-51 sometime this summer, so I figured it would be okay to bump this thread. It's titled "Rustoleum" but the discussion turned more to Krylon, which I've never tried. It doesn't look like I'll ever be trying it after reading the above posts.

I've always had good results with Rustoleum Automotive Enamel that I buy at Lowes. I always cover it after a couple of weeks with Lustrekote Clear gloss, and never had a wrinkling problem until this Winter when I painted my Shoestring red and black. Most of it came out okay but a couple of patches of both colors wrinkled. I figured I had just laid the Lustrekote on too thick, but when I scraped and repainted the same thing happened. Is there any chance I would have better luck with Rustoleum clear? I've never tried it and don't know if it's sufficiently fuel resistant. I usually don't get much raw fuel on the plane, but plenty of exhaust and I clean it thoroughly when I get it back to the shop. Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum clear? Should it be applied immediately on top of the color, or is a 24 hour or a two week wait better.

Some of you mentioned two part paint. Are you using an airbrush to apply that. I don't have that equipment, so I'm stuck with rattle cans.

Thanks,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
Consensus on this Forum is that Rustoleum clear is not fuel proof or even resistant and will leave you with a sticky mess. Can't say first hand but decided to take other's work for it. A search will bear this out.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Consensus on this Forum is that Rustoleum clear is not fuel proof or even resistant and will leave you with a sticky mess. Can't say first hand but decided to take other's work for it. A search will bear this out.  8)
Actually I did. Sorry for prematurely bumping the thread. I'll stick with Lustrekote and try to be light handed with it.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
You just really have to be careful over coating and enamel paint.  My flight box, had a spot were the paint was failing. So scrape up the loose stuff  sand it clean it and shoot it with the same can of rustoleum I used last year. 

Shoot it on nice and thick, hell it is a flight box right? Even though the paint is well over a year old, the paint blistered badly in a expanding circular defect.  Now my dime sized repair is 2 inches in diameter.

Wiped it off with a rig soaked in thinner.  Many light coats followed.  and it did not blister.  Good.  One last thick coat and CRAP it was a mess all over again.  So the solvent is pretty strong and will get under old paint if laid on too thick.

So only over cote with many very light coats.   I am looking to switch away from spray can enamels.

I have had the same issue with Luster kote over rustoleum as well only thing coats will work.   

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
So is Painters Touch as fuel proof (resistant) as Rustoleum or the new Krylon?  Yes, not clear or metallics. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here