News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rumble Finish  (Read 986 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rumble Finish
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
Well I posted pics in the build section and now it is finish time.   This will be another dopeless finish.   The wings, stab and elevator are ready for the fuselage to be done and then the graphics.   Step one which goes for any finish is to sand the plane as smooth as you can if not better.  I cut all the pieces I needed for the surfaces.    I use Mod Podge from the fabric store.   Have almost finished the first bottle on at least 6 planes.  By the way there are several versions of Mod Podge I found out.  I used the gloss stuff.   I also do one panel at a time as I'm so clutsy I kept putting holes on the paper(silk pan. poly span and Doctor paper).   First step is to brush the Mod Podge on all the areas the paper will attach to.   I let it dry to the touch as the heat from the iron will activate it.  Don't use your good brush or your best iron.  I use the chip brushes from Harbor Freight.  The iron can be cleaned the brushes aren't worth it.

Now start on bottom of the wing either inboard or out board, doesn't matter.  Iron on a piece of the paper like you would if using dope, start at center and then the tip followed by leading edge or trailing edge.   Sand off the excess.   The paper will have wrinkles.  Run the iron over it and it should shrink up tight.  Now you iron on the mylar/SLC covering.   Get it as smooth as you can.  Don't iron it to the ribs.  Once it is on trim the excess.  Now you can shrink the covering with the iron.   If you have some bad wrinkles don't worry too much right now.   Now before covering the top side I take a finger and smear Mod Podge where the paper covering will over lap.   This when you can do the top side,  again sand the excess paper off as this way you will not have a sharp edge.   Once the mylar/SLC is on and shrunk like the bottom side.  Now dig out the hot air gun and start shrinking the covering taking care over the bad wrinkles as if you stay in one spot too long it will need a patch.    The last step is to go over the covering with the iron to press the mylar/SLC to the paper.  You will see a change in the texture.  The is the step that makes it much stronger.  So far I have drop an ball point,  cell phone and other tools with out puncturing it.   Now if you jab at it that's another story.   

Once in a while you may get a dent but the iron will usually bring it out.   As you see it in the picture it weighs 11.8 ounces.   Before the covering it was 10.4 ounces.  Will get another weight when fuse is done.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rumble Finish
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:11:56 AM »
Looks almost you are almost ready to Rumble....ugh, sorry.

I got stuck on your process in the same place I do with most finishing systems:

"... to sand the plane as smooth as you can if not better."

Hope you have fun with your new plane.

Divot McSlow

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
Hey, I may not show it all the time, but I have fun with all my planes.   Figuring out the problems that pop up or especially when I get a flight I am pleased with or my demented poodle approves of. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:05:14 PM »
Doc,

I know you guys in Kansas are pretty laid back, but you should never call the guy watching your flight and filling in the score card a "demented poodle" even if their hair is curly and they bark a lot about your maneuvers. It's a bad karma thing....

Divot

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
LLLLLLLLLLLLLets get ready to RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Sounds really light too. The old Combat Special is going to have a good time hauling this one around!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here