Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Rookie with a spray gun...requesting tips

(1/2) > >>

wwwarbird:
 Well, I'm FINALLY making the move to a compressor/spray gun setup and planning on ditching the rattle cans forever. Historically, I've actually done some very nice jobs with my makeshift dope/Lustrekote/urethane clear process, but it's time to get off the porch and run with the "Big Dogs" ;D
 I'm planning on using Brodak dope (I've already purchased a bunch) and would just like to hear some suggestions and/or basic guidelines on mixing ratios, compressor and regulator settings etc. I'll be using an automotive style touch-up gun (8oz I believe) and most likely a 25 gallon or so compressor.
 I am basically familiar with the whole process as I used to use a cheap airbrush years ago on plastic models. I'm just looking for some starting recommendations using this type of equipment and the Brodak dope.

Thanks! y1

Randy Powell:
While Ty has talked about products and such, I'd just add (besides what he said about adequate thinning) to use good technique and practice. Set up some panels (old fuel cans or other smooth surfaces) and practice with the gun. See what happens when you change the fan or the air or mix. The biggest issues is usually learning how to best use the equipment and that just takes practice. Things like holding the pattern at an even distance, not tilting the gun and learning how long you can hold in one place with various materials before you get runs. All that is just practice and knowing the equipment. Don't expect a 20 point finish the first crack out of the box, Just learn and get better with the equipment and technique as you go along.

If you have specific questions, just ask here.

Gene O'Keefe:
I would recommend getting a good inline water trap filter -- any moisture getting into your paint will definitely
create big priblems.

Geno

wwwarbird:
 Yes, a water trap is definitely in the plan too.
 Any recommended pressure regulator settings as a starting point?

Randy Powell:
>>Any recommended pressure regulator settings as a starting point?<<

The easy answer is, whatever the gun manufacturer recommends.   ;D

I have a regulator at the compressor, at the water trap and at the gun (hey, I'm a safety man: I wear a belt AND suspenders). I usually just open the valves at the tank and water trap full blast and set the pressure at the gun. My HVLP guns say 10 pounds at the nozzle. So you pull the trigger and set the pressure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version