News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringing in your ears?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Don Chandler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Ringing in your ears?
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
OK, heres something different. Since I retired a couple years ago my flying and building time has increased a lot. So has the noise in my ears, to the point of distraction. I wear ear coverings when firning weoaons, mowing, weed eating and all that -so what the heck.

Well, something I wondered about but did not give seroius consideration to was the building aspect of the hobby.

According to what I read after a Google search, solvents, thinners, paints and fuels can also cause cause ringing in the ears, sometimes to access. This new problem of mine has gotten steadily worse since my building/finishing time has incrteased so much.

Has onyone else erxperienceed this?

Don

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ringing in your ears?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
My "Tinnitus" is getting worse too. Unfortunately my "ear" Dr. retired and I haven't been to the new one he recommended yet............only been five or so years. ::)

Getting old sucks  ??? But, it beats the alternative.  y1

Jerry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Hey Don:

Going to a doc may be a good idea.  There's lots of things that can cause tinnitus, not all of which is irreversible, and on the other hand, not all of which is as innocent as just losing your hearing.

Do you wear ear protection while playing with engines?  It could be just that, if you're doing significantly more of it these days.  The rule of thumb that I was taught 30 years ago is that if you have to shout to carry on a conversation, you should be wearing hearing protection.  Standing next to a muffled LA 46 I have to shout -- so I wear ear plugs.

I've been steadily losing my hearing since I started working for my dad's shop in my teens -- he wasn't keen on hearing protection, so it took me a couple of years to realize what I was doing to myself.  At that point the downward slide was already launched.  Now I wear hearing protection for anything noisy -- even hammering stuff, if I remember to put in the plugs.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
Yeah,
Check the solvent exposure. I played in rock and roll bands, flew models since I was 5, flew real airplanes with no headsets since childhood, fly for a living, flew the 727 and B-25 and Twin Beech a lot and they're the loudest airplanes out there, but after the most of my old fashioned model building with paint and solvents was passed, my tinnitus went away to a large degree. I'm back to singing and playing insturments but the ringing goes away like it didn't before.
I think the solvent exposure is a likely culprit. In 2007 I built a model old school and painted it in the garage and outside on the drive. I didn't think much of it but once I got to VSC I felt a little off, and spoke to one of my buddies like I hadn't seen him in years when we'd had a nice conversation the day before. I often wondered if that was a symptom of solvents ingestion.
Chris...

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 06:09:02 PM »
I have had tinnitus for 40+ years since my days in the Air Force around jet engines.  It's something I learned to live with a long time ago.  Been back in the hobby the last 15 years and it has not affected my tinnitus either way.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:52:36 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I have to confess that back in my speed flying days ear covers were a must, but then I switched to Carrier for 25 or so years and now a lot of Stunt with no ear gear. While bench running usually, never when flying though, I need to hear the engine. It sounds like thwe solvents may be the culprit. Next SSi check buys a respirator and I think I'll try wearing my ear protection while painting and see if that helps.

Don

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
Yep, like all the above, life long environmental exposures to a lot of bad stuff: In my case it was 8 years Artillery then Helicopter maintenance. decades in the motor pool with TriCloroFloro and other crap like PD 680, Zinc Chromate and CARC (Chemical Agent Resistive Coating) paints, lots of days with MEK---- yada Yada.... And like all good home owner, years of weed eater, mower, shop tools...always wore hearing protection (beat into us in the artillery days).

Always wore ear plugs testing glow engines and flying, same with trips to the range or hunting. Been retired fro active duty 20 years soon and my tested hearing loss is minimal but the Tinnitus is loud and all day long

When by myself building, I always have music in the shop to mask the damned ringing.... must have TV on to sleep

Wife is retired Army also and some evenings I complain about the Tinnitus and she sez...."sorry darling but what you are hearing right now is crickets at 90dB"....Danged buggers are on same note as my ringing and it drives me nutz!
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
Glad you guys have brought this up.  May explain why my right ear does not work.   Several years ago when I was tested for hearing aids, I had more than 50% loss in right ear.  Left ear was 25%.   The last couple of years Have been using a lot of dope on the planes.   This after years of working industrials plants and in telephone central offices.   I do use hearing device now in the left ear so I can some times hear what is be said.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
Go to Walgreens and buy their brand of Multi-vitamins for Men. It has the same ingredients of Lipo-Flavanoid which is for ringing in the ears. It works for me at about 1/2 the price. I tried the Lipo-F and it worked. When I compared the ingredients I was floored to find out it was just a multi vitamin. If it doesn't cure it it might lessen the ringing.

Rich

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
I've been wearing a mask and ear gear like I mentioned and the ringing is still there but the pressure left and that was the real uncomfortable part. Have an appt tomorrow with ENT doc, we'll see what he says.

I tried the lipo-Flavanoid the last couple months, I'll try the vitamins from Walgreens, thanks for the tip.

Don

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
Like Allan I have lived with Tinitus for over 40 years.  When I was in the Air Force, I was a Morse Code intercept operator, often referred to as a ditty bop.  I. Wore headsets 8 hours a day taking Morse Code and ever since I have ringing and crickets in my ears. I have learned to live with it.  The VA turned me down twice for hearing aids so I bought them myself.

Mike

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
Don, what about antibiotics? Some of the "big guns" like vancomycin and gentamicin will cause serious hearing loss with tinnitus, as well as some NSAIDS and diuretics.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here