News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:40:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing tape adhesive residue  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Robertc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Removing tape adhesive residue
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
Pulled the masking tape from my canopy after being masking for a couple of months and it left behind sticky adhesive on the canopy.
What's the best method of removing the adhesive?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Removing tape adhesive residue
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:01:15 AM »
   A product called "Goo Gone" works well, or lighter fluid, or naphtha from the hardware store.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »
Naphtha or denatured alcohol will take it off and not upset the paint much. Don't rub too hard.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 05:30:03 AM »
Pulled the masking tape from my canopy after being masking for a couple of months and it left behind sticky adhesive on the canopy.
What's the best method of removing the adhesive?

I would suggest, in the future, you try a different brand of tape than what you're using.

I use plastic tape used in the auto industry for paint. I have a canopy that's been taped for over a year and I'll expect no issues when I remove it.

Gives a clean edge also.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
I would suggest, in the future, you try a different brand of tape than what you're using.

I use plastic tape used in the auto industry for paint. I have a canopy that's been taped for over a year and I'll expect no issues when I remove it.

Gives a clean edge also.

Charles,

Good advice, but you did not answer the question.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »
Charles,

Good advice, but you did not answer the question.

Keith

I only use Rapid Tac to remove adhesive. Google or go to a sign shop with an empty bottle.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here