News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing "bits" from the finish.  (Read 930 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Removing "bits" from the finish.
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »
I've just sprayed a crash helmet for my son. It is the kind that can be re-finished, I used some old Belaco brushing celulose, and got a lovely finish. But, (there's always a but!) I've managed to get some bits of dust in it, without sanding it all down, (the masking took a week!) what is the best way to remove them? What's nibbing?

Cheers   Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Removing "bits" from the finish.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »
if its in the clear,, you can take a small piece of 1500 grit on a small section of a paint stick and sand it lightly then polish. I dont know anything about your clear if it will polish though
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
Mark,  its purely a black laquer that i've used. Its fairly slow drying, I haven't used any clear yet.
I've got a horrible feeling that the bits are in the paint!! May have to strain it through a filter of some sort!

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
Neville,
For what its worth, I strain everything I put through my spray guns,, not a bad idea to do the same for brushed finishs too. If its going to show you may need to sand and then put another coat on top to cover the blemishs,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:10:45 AM »
If your son is like mine, in a week there will be so many dings in the finish that it won't look like a new paint job anyhow. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:30:49 AM »
Not too many I hope, this one will be used on the race track! While I love motorcycle racing, been watching since the days of Agostini, watched Barry Sheene race when he was nobody! I have trouble watching my son race!

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:11 AM »
With good safety gear now a days there sould be little worry.  Our local stock car track is fanatical about safety and some of the drivers get upset when they are not allowed to race. 

I used to drag race for sport.  Never raced the two wheel vehicles, but, my brothers did back in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's.  They streesed safety all the time after losing friends on the ovals. 

Good luck with your son's racing career, baybe he might decide to go with model planes some day.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
John,
yes motorcycle race meetings are usually quite safe, its not the sliding off that's the problem, its being hit by another rider or your own bike that does the damage!! I've seen that happen many a time, it turns my stomach! When he was younger (he's 30 now) I did manage to get him in to aeromodelling for a while, he liked combat, but it was the dozens of photos that I had of motorcycle racing that lured him it to it, and the fact that my brother raced, and an old friend (who was 3rd at the 1969 British Nats in FAI combat) who also raced didn't help.
He's had a couple of seasons racing, but is finding it very expensive. Come off the thing a few times too, only the pride was hurt on those occasions. It cost about £250 to enter a weekend race meeting (4 races) about $400!!

Cheers    Neville

(not) Descartes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here