News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reincarnating the Sukhoi?  (Read 1156 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Reincarnating the Sukhoi?
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
 Something like 6 or 7 years ago I finished this Sukhoi model that I designed and scratchbuilt around an ARF Nobler wing. This was long before my now normal process of spraying all dope finishes. This plane is all silkspan covered, including the wing. It was finished from the bare wood with Aero Gloss dope, color is Lustrekote rattle cans, graphics are vinyl, and it is clear-coated with Midwest products "Formula U" polyurethane clear. Not suprisingly however, the clear yellowed pretty badly within the first year. I have used this same process on many of my earlier models and have never had a fuel related issue.

Yesterday I got the bug to fly the Sukhoi for it's first time in a couple of years. I was taking a break after a few flights when I happened to notice that something looked blistered on the bottom of the cowl. I picked up the plane and discovered that anywhere any fuel or exhaust residue had hit the plane the clear coat was all bubbled, blistered and gooey, and would roll clean off at the slightest touch. This was on the entire bottom of the fuse and wing root areas and with the normal paths flowing out the outboard wing. The good thing is that the now exposed paint and vinyl in these areas is all fine. The other good thing is that the affected white areas are now a nice bright white again, not yellowed from the clear.

All of this has me wondering, how might I get all of the clearcoat off without harming the rest of the finish or the vinyl so I can potentially go back and clear it with something else? One thought I'm considering is lying a raw fuel soaked rag on the plane for a while to possibly loosen and roll off the clear. I don't know if I dare try that one though.

Any ideas??? D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Reincarnating the Sukhoi?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
I see what you mean. Looks almost Orange and Cream in the picture. And I have no idea how to take the Formula U clear off other than maybe trying naphtha or alcohol based products.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
Try the fuel soaked rag trick on the bottom of the plane....its kinda wrecked now anyways.  What the heck, you never know. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
Try the fuel soaked rag trick on the bottom of the plane....its kinda wrecked now anyways.  What the heck, you never know. H^^

Yeah, kinda what I'm thinking at this point Glenn. And Randy, in the outdoor pics above it actually looks a lot better than it does in person right now. Not sure if I'll try to mess with it or just retire it as another shop ornament.

"Exhibit A" is shown below. These photos are from after I cleaned it up last night. It's hard to tell in these photos, but the clear is completely gone on the bottom of the fuse from the wing L/E back. You can easily see the nice bright white areas where the clear is gone and where the exhaust residue was running out the outboard wing. There are lots of other random areas all over the bottom too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:56:23 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here