Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Rebuild kit for no-name gun?

(1/2) > >>

Tim Wescott:
I have a touch-up gun that I bought at a yard sale, with (no surprise) a dried-out gland on the needle.  The only identifying mark is the word "TAIWAN" on the trigger.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to get a set of seals for this?  Do these knock-off guns all tend to have the same sized bits, or is there a website where I can order them by size, or am I just out of luck?

Or should I see if I can find a brick & mortar store in my area and get help from a real human being?  I always hate doing that because I figure they'll spend more $$ helping me than they'll make on the rebuild kit.

Dan McEntee:
    We are probably just talking about O-rings in general, are we not? I would carefully remove what you want to replace and check with the following; 1) An auto body supply and paint store. if they sell paint they probably sell the stuff to shoot it with. 2) A GOOD  hardware store that had a good selection of O-rings. 3) A bearing and seal supply house, or power transmission supply house. I would tell them what they are for, and I would think you could find Teflon O-rings that may be the cats pajamas for them or at least nitrile O-rings. A plumbing supply house might be a good choice also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Dan McEntee on January 21, 2022, 08:32:33 AM ---    We are probably just talking about O-rings in general, are we not? I would carefully remove what you want to replace and check with the following; 1) An auto body supply and paint store. if they sell paint they probably sell the stuff to shoot it with. 2) A GOOD  hardware store that had a good selection of O-rings. 3) A bearing and seal supply house, or power transmission supply house. I would tell them what they are for, and I would think you could find Teflon O-rings that may be the cats pajamas for them or at least nitrile O-rings. A plumbing supply house might be a good choice also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

--- End quote ---

If it's built like a Binks or a DeVilbiss then it's got a graphite-impregnated leather packing gland in there.

But yes, one of my options is to search out a local shop that sells that stuff, and spend $100 of the counter-man's time for a $20 purchase.

john e. holliday:
He's old enough to know better. LL~ LL~  I think he is in early 60's as if I remember right he just retired. D>K

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: Tim Wescott on January 21, 2022, 09:02:50 AM ---If it's built like a Binks or a DeVilbiss then it's got a graphite-impregnated leather packing gland in there.

But yes, one of my options is to search out a local shop that sells that stuff, and spend $100 of the counter-man's time for a $20 purchase.

--- End quote ---

Hey ! That's what they are in business for! Be nice to you and help you out so that you will come back and buy thousands of dollars worth of paint !! I don't think they will consider it a waste of time, and there may be some side benefit of what you may see and learn. That's what I like about brick and motor stores instead of on line shopping.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version