News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuild kit for no-name gun?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rebuild kit for no-name gun?
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:56 PM »
I have a touch-up gun that I bought at a yard sale, with (no surprise) a dried-out gland on the needle.  The only identifying mark is the word "TAIWAN" on the trigger.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to get a set of seals for this?  Do these knock-off guns all tend to have the same sized bits, or is there a website where I can order them by size, or am I just out of luck?

Or should I see if I can find a brick & mortar store in my area and get help from a real human being?  I always hate doing that because I figure they'll spend more $$ helping me than they'll make on the rebuild kit.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rebuild kit for no-name gun?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »
    We are probably just talking about O-rings in general, are we not? I would carefully remove what you want to replace and check with the following; 1) An auto body supply and paint store. if they sell paint they probably sell the stuff to shoot it with. 2) A GOOD  hardware store that had a good selection of O-rings. 3) A bearing and seal supply house, or power transmission supply house. I would tell them what they are for, and I would think you could find Teflon O-rings that may be the cats pajamas for them or at least nitrile O-rings. A plumbing supply house might be a good choice also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »
    We are probably just talking about O-rings in general, are we not? I would carefully remove what you want to replace and check with the following; 1) An auto body supply and paint store. if they sell paint they probably sell the stuff to shoot it with. 2) A GOOD  hardware store that had a good selection of O-rings. 3) A bearing and seal supply house, or power transmission supply house. I would tell them what they are for, and I would think you could find Teflon O-rings that may be the cats pajamas for them or at least nitrile O-rings. A plumbing supply house might be a good choice also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

If it's built like a Binks or a DeVilbiss then it's got a graphite-impregnated leather packing gland in there.

But yes, one of my options is to search out a local shop that sells that stuff, and spend $100 of the counter-man's time for a $20 purchase.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »
He's old enough to know better. LL~ LL~  I think he is in early 60's as if I remember right he just retired. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 01:15:51 PM »
If it's built like a Binks or a DeVilbiss then it's got a graphite-impregnated leather packing gland in there.

But yes, one of my options is to search out a local shop that sells that stuff, and spend $100 of the counter-man's time for a $20 purchase.

Hey ! That's what they are in business for! Be nice to you and help you out so that you will come back and buy thousands of dollars worth of paint !! I don't think they will consider it a waste of time, and there may be some side benefit of what you may see and learn. That's what I like about brick and motor stores instead of on line shopping.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »
Doc I am aware of his actual age, but that term is pure 1920's. My parents used it and the old sliced bread one. D>K

Cat's pajamas, bee's knees, let's just say I'm an animal lover! I just turned over 66 last October. I think I get a lot of my "jargon" from my Mom. Lots of old world  sayings, superstitions and stuff that most time I can't think of but some times I just get triggered into remembering them. Hard to say about when "Cat's Pajamas" crept into my brain. Sounds like a good name for a stunt model!

Tim: I guess I would have to see the parts and then go from there. I would think that the gun was a clone of some one's previous work and you could find something  to fit. I would think the leather packing could be duplicated even from scratch. Again, a power transmission place that handles a variety of control valves, or hydraulic controls. Again, seeing the parts is important.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:08:35 AM »
Once you figure out if the gun is manufactured with metric or inch-ic dimensions, it shouldn't be a problem to find the sealing elements. McMaster-Carr seems to have a huge variety of different types of O-rings.
Especially the softer Teflon-type elastomers are interesting. Often, even in better guns, they use quite standard O-ring materials, mainly for cost reasons. L

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 02:08:07 AM »
It isn't horribly expensive to get a new gravity feed HVLP gun from HF which will perform better than the gun you have. I went through a couple of that  type of touch up gun and prefer the gravity feed much more.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 03:54:45 PM »
It isn't horribly expensive to get a new gravity feed HVLP gun from HF which will perform better than the gun you have. I went through a couple of that  type of touch up gun and prefer the gravity feed much more.

I went into the store with the intention of letting them talk me into a gravity-feed if I couldn't get parts for my guns.  And -- nothing for the "Taiwan" one, or even for the gun that the guy thought it was knocked off of.  He could have gotten parts for my DeVilbis gun, but would have had to order one in.

So I got the least expensive gravity feed gun they had -- I figured that way if it doesn't work I know it's me, not the gun.  It's a Finex Sharp by Graco, and so far it works great.

Only one run, and that's a doozey -- but at least it's from me brain-farting and moving too slow across the surface, instead of me saying "oh, I'll just make it a little bit thicker to speed things up".

The picture doesn't do it justice.  One thing you can never catch in a photograph is imperfections in the paint.

AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here