News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rattle Can options  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Rattle Can options
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:57:50 AM »
All,
  I figured I would share this for all the guys without spray equipment, etc. My local Napa can mix whatever color you want in a aerosol can. I did a small repair on my daughter's friends  toyota using the spray can and the spray 2k clear. It appears you can get it in any form of paint. Mine was basecoat.

This is a great option and a significant step up from the rustoleum route.

Best
 Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Rattle Can options
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:33 AM »
AMA 13001

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this how much $ for the custom mixing etc?

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »
Sure wish we did not loose our local NAPA 10 years ago..but in a very small town it was bound to happen when O'relies, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto Part all move in within six months of each other....

I think the NAPA killer was the Tractor Supply...most of our NAPA store (rural town) inventory that was not covered in the three new parts stores was bulk oils and hard parts for tractors....

Tractor supply moved in with bigger inventory and cheaper prices...

I have to drive over 40 miles now to find a NAPA and it to might as well shut ....about only reason I go is for DC 540 primer and I usually buy all two cans they have
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »
At first when my daughter told me what they spent I thought it was a bit high. Then thinking what 8 oz. of dope cost plus thinner it probably is within a few dollars of each other. You obviously will get more mileage out of dope but
..... well I can go on and on.

I do think for many this is a good alternative.  The color was metallic black and it was $27.00 for the can. As like most basecoats the coverage was phenomenal. You could probably trim 3 planes with the can. I barely used any for the front corner of a bumper.
 I have 2 Napa's about 8 miles from me in opposite directions.  One mixes in spray cans the other doesn't.  My next stunter will be finished in either latex or automotive 2 part.

I may build something and use the remaining metallic black for trim. I will certainly share my findings with you.

Btw, the can sprayed very well. The 2k clear I used is the same can that has been in the freezer for the last 2 weeks from finishing the engine pods on 2 vintage combat ships. It's back in the freezer.  I'm hoping to finish it within a month on another vintage combat ship. It does work, keeping it the freezer. Make sure the nozzle is clean prior to storage.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »
Back when I was painting my race car, I got all of my supplies from a local PPG automotive paint dealer.  I got to be good friends with the counter guy and one day he told me "sure, we can put any color you want in a spray can for you".

It came in handy when I was painting my roll bar, there were some places that were difficult to reach with a spray gun not to mention there would be large amounts of overspray. The spray cans worked perfectly.  I haven't been back to that store in many years, but check with your local automotive paint suppliers, I'm guessing many of them offer spray cans as an option.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »

Btw, the can sprayed very well. The 2k clear I used is the same can that has been in the freezer for the last 2 weeks from finishing the engine pods on 2 vintage combat ships. It's back in the freezer.  I'm hoping to finish it within a month on another vintage combat ship. It does work, keeping it the freezer. Make sure the nozzle is clean prior to storage.

Tom
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks Tom.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here