News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rattle can finish over foam  (Read 751 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Rattle can finish over foam
« on: May 22, 2021, 07:37:25 AM »
Is there a rattle can paint that can be sprayed directly onto foam and is fuel proof?

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Rattle can finish over foam
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »
If you just need to add some color, you can use DesignMaster floral spray paint or floral dye.    You can paint the wing with simple tempera paint as well.  Mike Londke has some pictures up here of using tempera paint on the bare foam of Sam's StuntBot. 

You will still need to cover the foam with clear film.  Let me know if you need some film.  You pay the shipping and I'll send you enough for a plane, Harold. 

Finish quality just depends on your expectations.  If you have a bare foam wing, then you shouldn't expect perfection.  It will look nice enough for some color and sport flying.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/samuel's-stuntbot-build/

Some color going on the wings. Since they are foam Sam is just using water based tempera paint. Covering will be clear Fascal. This has worked well for us on many Combat models.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »
Brent

Are you talking about Fas=Cal?  and can the tempura paint be sprayed?

Regards

Harold Brewer

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »
Brent

Are you talking about Fas=Cal?  and can the tempura paint be sprayed?

Regards

Harold Brewer

I can send you some iron-on clear lamination film.  It's very forgiving and easy to apply with any iron you have at the house.

I doubt that tempera can be sprayed.  It's pretty thick.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
  I thought I answered all of this when you first asked the other day? See link below.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/finishing-foam-wing/

You can manage to color foam but not make it fuel proof. Lots of different tissues and wrapping paper out there to layer on and cover foam just to cover it, and then you can paint it with almost anything. On a small 1/2A combat model if you keep the glue and such to a minimum you won't build up much weight. Your problem will be with spilling fuel on it. The exhaust won't hurt the finish unless it's so rich that unburned fuel comes out in the exhaust. If you get a thin, even layer of glue and paper on, then the popular urethanes that some guys use will work also. But you have to put something on the foam first.

So even after asking three times, the answer is still no. There is nothing you can spray on foam that will cover the foam and be fuel proof..

Type at you later,
    Dan Mcentee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here