News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randolph Gold Powder Spraying  (Read 1189 times)

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Randolph Gold Powder Spraying
« on: July 23, 2022, 09:29:52 AM »
I found one thread where someone used a gold flake paint over white. Randolph gave me clear and a bag of powder. Any other tips? How much powder per ounce? Shoot t over white? I know to use a dedicated gun. Couldn't find the windy video where he does it if anyone has a reference number. I know it's heavier. Thanks
David

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Randolph Gold Powder Spraying
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »
Shoot it over whatever base color you want since it's clear. As to how much to mix in, that is up to you. The clear will only take so much, so there is an upper limit. The practical limit is much lower, I'm sure. Really going to be a matter of personal taste. Mix up a small amount with however much powder in it you think you need and do a test. If it's acceptable, proceed. If it's too much, add more clear. Too little, add powder. Jut be sure to weigh/measure how much of everything so you have somewhat repeatable results.

Keep in mind that once you get it the way you want, you better have enough to do the current plane PLUS any repairs, and then some, so that it will match. You're making a custom color/top coat, and the chances of later mixing up a batch to match perfectly is fairly slim. If you make a bunch, and only use a little, no big deal as it will be used up, eventually. Measure, label, and properly store the result, and it should be fine. This is all basically what I remember from the Windy videos. Others will likely chime in differently.

Offline James H. Dean

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
im assuming that it is a small flake that they gave you. even if it is a heavier metalic power i find it easier to use a similar color base then spray the flake over that. this way you dont have to have 100% coverage of said flake.

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »
I shot the gold and it looks really pretty. Probably very heavy because I shot over white without the colored base like James mentioned. But it's just some accents, so I'm satisfied with it. Now I just need a tape to hold so I don't get over spray. Other thread for that one.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:55 PM »
If you meant you need tape to hold to the flake, seal it in a couple of coats of clear first, let it dry then tape it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here