News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randolph dope  (Read 2577 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Randolph dope
« on: April 05, 2020, 06:29:34 PM »
Looking at the Randolph color dope on Aircraft Spruce trying to find as close of a match to Miss Ashley Red as I can.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
AMA 491167

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Randolph dope
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
Looking at the Randolph color dope on Aircraft Spruce trying to find as close of a match to Miss Ashley Red as I can.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would take my color sample to Walmart or whoever carries the complete line of Krylon aerosol can colors near you, and try to match it up. Krylon offers a few reds.

Or, you could try Tamiya Paint, also in aerosol cans or jars for air brush.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
  If Randolph's doesn't have a match, take a sample to an auto paint supply store and have them match it and supply the pigment. Then just add the pigment to your clear Randolph's. The big problem might be in finding one that's open, as they might not be "essential.". If it's electric you can shoot it in anything you want so they can supply it in lacquer. You can use their clear also with no compatibility issues.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
I've done what Dan mentioned many times.  Just be sure to ask for pigment with no binder.  The place I go to will mix as little as 1/2 pint, added to clear dope you a can probably get a quart of red.
Mike

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:19:37 PM »
  If Randolph's doesn't have a match, take a sample to an auto paint supply store and have them match it and supply the pigment. Then just add the pigment to your clear Randolph's. The big problem might be in finding one that's open, as they might not be "essential.". If it's electric you can shoot it in anything you want so they can supply it in lacquer. You can use their clear also with no compatibility issues.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
The O'Reillys near me is still open and they are a paint store.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 11:40:27 AM »
James,

You might want to call Randolph about matching a color. The last time I talked to them about compatibility and their tautening butyrate I believe they said they could mix a custom color. They, however, may have thought I was painting a 50 ft span aircraft and not a model, give them a call.

Steve

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
James,

You might want to call Randolph about matching a color. The last time I talked to them about compatibility and their tautening butyrate I believe they said they could mix a custom color. They, however, may have thought I was painting a 50 ft span aircraft and not a model, give them a call.

Steve

Thanks
AMA 491167

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
So Dan, you just go to an auto paint supply  store and ask for what pigment exactly? Acrylic lacquer pigment? Most of the auto paint supply stores here no longer deal in Acrylic Lacquers. Not sure if that matters.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
Jim,
You might try dropping Wind U a note and asking him how to match the paint, since he developed it. Windy has a YouTube channel if you search YouTube for Windy U it will come up and you can send a comment.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:19:39 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
Try Randolph Cadillac Red.  Pretty Close.
Tom McClain

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »

Brodak sells Miss Ashley Red, which is Randolph.

https://brodak.com/pub/media/paint-chart.jpg
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 08:33:34 AM »
I dealt with Univair, the Randolph dealer in Colorado.   They mix the colors on site.  Unfortunately, I could not induce them to scan from my sample.  They just mix what's on the menu.  But they do have a higher-level parent company with a larger selection, which they will mix.

I was able to get Home Depot to scan samples and add pigment.  If you are willing to risk a few quarts of Randolph white, you might try getting HD to tint it for you.  I have done that with some success.  Worst case is a quart of dope in a slightly off color.
Paul Smith

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
I dealt with Univair, the Randolph dealer in Colorado.   They mix the colors on site.  Unfortunately, I could not induce them to scan from my sample.  They just mix what's on the menu.  But they do have a higher-level parent company with a larger selection, which they will mix.

I was able to get Home Depot to scan samples and add pigment.  If you are willing to risk a few quarts of Randolph white, you might try getting HD to tint it for you.  I have done that with some success.  Worst case is a quart of dope in a slightly off color.

This is a good idea, and may be able to be done more accurately if there is an auto paint store that can do the tinting and mixing for you. You can start off with clear, and be more sure of the mix.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here