Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Rand-O-Fill vs Sig Silver

(1/3) > >>

kevin king:
Has anyone tried Rand-O-Fill and how does it compare to Sig Silver? I will be using it for blocker coats only. The product description seems like it would be what i need.
Kevin.
https://www.wagaero.com/restoration/covering-material-supplies/randolph-covering-materials/butyrate-dopes-thinner/rando-o-fill-silver-g-6303-quart.html

Mark wood:
Randolph is a good product and I haven't used Sig dope in many years. It is butyrate dope with aluminum powder in it. I mix my own for model work because I generally paint with nitrate dope. I don't think my way is cost effective for most though as the can of paste costs the same as a quart of dope. The coverage is good and being butyrate will be compatible where butyrate is.  I wouldn't hesitate.

Paul Smith:
I use Randolph Sil-Vo-Fill all the time.  I've never used the SIG.

I just brush it on the plane after several coats of clear.  I tried to spray it once with no success.  Maybe too much solids.  I want a lot of film build so spraying would be counter productive anyway.

Most of it gets sanded off.  It helps to find the low spots.

The purpose of the product is to protect the dope from UV damage.

Dennis Toth:
Kevin,
If you look at some of the old school finishing videos from Windy you will see he used SIG Silver all the time. It is thinned 50/50 and sprays well for a thin light weight block coat. I use the Preval Spray system (~$6 home depot). One thing with silver, when you apply the first coat it will show all the nicks, dents and unfilled dope areas. What Windy would do is apply 1st coat, let it dry several days then sand down any problems recoat with clear then after dry hit it with the silver. Once you get a smooth surface, I would give one coat of clear then go to color.

Best,    DennisT

kevin king:
Picked up a quart of Randofill today. Will give it a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version