News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: question on Polycrylic relaxing silkpan, particularly on open bays ....  (Read 360 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Put two coats of Polycrylic on wing, so far.  I expected the first coat to really relax the silkspan, but was a bit surprised when the second coat did the same thing.  These are the fill coats on new silkspan.  Should I perhaps let a coat dry a lot longer before giving it another coat ??  I would expect at some point it plasticizes enough that the next coat won't relax the silkspan like I'm misting water on unfinished silkspan.  Or maybe it just needs more coats.  Or maybe it will do this every single time I add another coat of the water-based product ... ??  It did tighten back up, but I darn sure don't want it to loosen on the frame, which it also seemed to do in a few places.

Anyone got any experience they can share on what I can expect, or do differently ??

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
How long did you wait between coats? Most of the water-based material will cure out in 24 hours for recoat. After that is won't be affected by water. Be careful with the Polycrylic as it can add weight very fast, only need a couple coats. What is the power for the ship glow or electric? If glow you will still need to top coat with something like KBS Diamond Clear (I use the aerosol version, has indefinite shelf life) or Max 2K. Again these should also be applied in two thin coats as they can add lots of weight fast.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Miotch

• Commander
Thanks !  I only waited about an hour between coats.  That, I think, is my problem.  I can't treat water-based product like a lacquer-type product, which is hard for me.  It will be a Saito .56, so all of this will be painted and maybe clear coated too. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here