News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rustoleum over Monokote  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rustoleum over Monokote
« on: July 12, 2021, 11:38:19 PM »
I have it on good authority (one that does it with really good results) that you can use Rustoleum over MonoKote.  I am concerned with what happens when the MonoKote sags in the Texas sun.  So, if any naysayers would like to say Nay - Please do so.  I plan to cover more than just trim lines, most of which will be over balsa.

Thanks - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rustoleum over Monokote
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 05:09:12 AM »
   If you are just using it for trim, scuff the area needed with some fine paper or steel wool and keep the paint to a minimum. Allen Brickhaus pioneered a system using Rustoleum and did a complete description in a couple of his articles in Flying Models over the years. One was for the kit bash model of the Cleveland Unlimited racer "Begin the Beguine" from a Four PI R/C P-51 kit. Hi biography has a listing of his publication. I'm sure it's been covered on the forums a number of times also over the years. He covered which brands and names of the colors that work best. Then he would take to finished model to a friends auto paint shop for a light coat of clear over it to seal it. If it's sprayed on correctly it will just sag with the iron on covering and reshrink when it cools off. Just about any of his competition models for OTS, Classic or PAMPA that you can find pictures of were finished this way.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:22:38 AM »
I've used Rustoleum, Rusloleum 2X, Krylon, MinWax, dope and Duplicolor over Monokote, Econokote and Ultrakote. If the paint isn't compatable with oil or fuel it will get sticky fast. It's perfect for electrics. Rustoleum enamel will flatten out and produces the best finish without any sanding. Any of it will chip at the edges if your not careful.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »
I use the foam scouring pads on my mylar coverings and wipe the surface before spaying with a clean soft rag.  Getting ready to redo finish on my DOC Special that I didn't wiped down good.  I also forgot to wear gloves. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
Rustoleum seems to be quite compatible with 'coat.  Just shrink up your saggy bits with a heat gun; the Rustoleum will shrink right along.

It can be quite heavy, so I'd hesitate using too much of it, and be careful spraying it on (says the guy who always ends up larding it on and getting a run).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
For small trim jobs Krylon sell a product called Short Cuts (https://www.krylon.com/products/short-cuts-aerosol-paints) that is an acrylic enamel like Rustoleum. This would also have to gas off a few weeks before being exposed to fuel.

Best,   DennisT 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here