News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Preval Spray System - tip  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Preval Spray System - tip
« on: November 05, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »
Guys,
I have been using the Preval Spray System for simple easy paint spraying. One tip I found that is very useful is to clear the nozzle by putting a finger over the spray tip and press down to cause a blow back into the jar. This clears the nozzle and keeps the spray smooth. If you see bobbles when you go to spray the nozzle is clogged and needs to be cleaned with thinner.

Best,  DennisT

Offline Gary

• New Pilot
Re: Preval Spray System - tip
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 06:54:04 PM »
Do you spray colored dope with the prevail and could you share how much you thin it

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 06:54:03 AM »
Gary, yes I spray all my dope with the Preval units as I build slow and don't need to have a big spray gun to clean. The thing I like about using the Preval system is you get the simplicity of a rattle can with the ability to adjust the mix and can add retarder (if needed), then just toss the whole thing (I do save the jars). I usually start around 40/60 thinner to paint and here in FL add 4-5% retarder. I like the Brodak (Randolph) thinner as it gasses off in a few days. The tip blow back trick is something that I recently found out about from the Preval web site. I had several units that would spray water but when paint went it sprayed for a bit then stopped. The blow back cleared the problem. I think I should strain the paint before putting it in the jar and keep the pickup tube screen in place for use that should eliminate the problem but if it stops the blow back can clear it.

Another tip is to have a jar with thinner (cheap hardware store lacquer thinner works for this), once you are done for the day, take the power head wipe down the excess and spray thinner through it to clean. Keep the power head on the thinner jar, when ready to use. say the next day, give it a quick spray of thinner (might do a quick back blow) then go to the paint jar.

Best,   DennisT 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:12:48 AM by Dennis Toth »

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 09:49:26 AM »
Also, the Preval is wonderful for finish repairs.  Small spray pattern, not an agressive spray, and I use them a lot in the guitar shop.  I have found that by mixing my 2K at a 4 to 1 to 1, using acetone as the thinner, I can blend the repair spot in perfectly with very little sanding to have the repaired spot disppear.  It does take the 2K longer to set, but so what, we have plenty of time before flying season gets here!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
My Prevals frost up after a few minutes of use.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
Perry,
If you are doing a large area one trick is to have a heat gun available to just warm the power pack as you use it. If it stops spraying do the backblow to clear the nozzle. Another tip is to pour the paint through a paint filter to keep small chucks of dried-up paint from being suck up into the nozzle area.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here