News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prepping silkspan problem  (Read 2845 times)

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Prepping silkspan problem
« on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
Can anyone help? I’ve covered my first wing with silkspan and have primed it. Three coats of dope on the wood and three coats after. I’m using Rustoleum 2x sanding sealer which seems to work very well. My problems are that I’m getting some fuzzies while sanding and if I come across a small raised blemish do I either sand it out and dope a small piece of silkspan over it or just dope it. Do I also just dope and prime the fuzzy sections? Am I sanding too much maybe?
                                                                                                            Frustrated Joe

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Prepping silkspan problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
It sounds like you have accidentally put the dull side up.
Just keep doping and patch as necessary. Remember to tear the patch not cut it. The tear will be invisible.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 10:54:46 AM »
I have done that accidently.  I saved a lot of coats by "sanding" after a coat of dope with the backside of the sandpaper then applying another coat after.  Burries those fuzzies VD~
I have also found that shrinking polyspan after a fresh coat of dope early on saves a couple of coats since it seals the pores faster.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »
You say silk span, but did you mean poly span?  Silk span has a shiney side, but no fuzzies as such and it does not  matter if the dull side is up or down. Poly span on the other had is very particular, the shiney side MUST go on top.

If you sand into the silkspan then it does get a little fuzzy -- but it gets taken care of with more coats of dope.  I haven't sanded into polyspan yet -- because I haven't used it yet.  I'm sure I'll learn just how delightful that experience is on the next plane, which will be getting polyspan.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:42:54 PM »
I haven't sanded into polyspan yet -- because I haven't used it yet.

By all means cover one wing with it upside down.  It is a right of passage.  Like your first beer. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 08:49:09 AM »
It was definitely silkspan but since it was covered a couple of years ago and my first build I can’t remember if I knew about the sides. Either way with more primer or dope looks like I’ll be giving up some weight for appearance and the next plane will be sweeeet lol

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »
This is just what I do for the fuzzies; I use a razor blade held perpendicular to the wing (fuse, etc.) and carefully (read lightly) scrape the fuzzies off.

And yes, I put some polyspan on upside down. Fuzzed up just fine. Got out the ol razzer blade and "voila" no problem.

Good luck, Jerry

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »
Huge help everyone. Thank you
Joe

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:45:08 PM »
Not sure but I thought you had to put on enough dope so you don't touch the covering when leveling with the sandpaper?

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 12:24:24 PM »
Well it takes a minimum of of four coats of dope after the model is covered, then a carful light sanding then another coat of clear to act like a seal and/or blocking coat, it should start to shine from just the clear before going any further.  You can give two coats every day, one early in the am, the other lat at night.  Depending on what I’m doing, I like to apply enough dope on the model to make sure I’m only sanding the clean dope.  I haven’t tried using a thing that’s not dope period!  Primer is either sanding sealer or clear withe zinc striate added to the clear, about one heaping table spoon for a quart is all you need.  Brush two coats of the primer and let it dry for a few days, then wet sand with 600 sandpaper, when you satisfied shoot another coat of clear over the model again to seal off the base.

From this point on spray all colors making sure to seal the edges of your tape with clear dope.  Once you trim is applied and the tape is remover genteelly rub the the edges of your trim colors with a credit card to remove the high point of the edge.  Let the paint cure for a few days and lightly sand the tape edges with 600 wet or dry sandpaper (wet).  Wash off the model with Windex and paper towels (twice).  Mix up the the clear dope by mixing up two quarts of clear mixed with thinner 50 50%, now spray another coat of clear on the tape lines on the entire model.  Once that is almost dry, give the model another coat of clear.  Let that dry overnight and carefully check to make sure there are no imperfections in the paint.   Again, lightly sand the tape edges with 600 (wet) or dry and clean the model with Windex and paper towels.

Using a tack rag between evert coat gently remove any dust particles and spray a new coat of clear dope.  You will notice the the edges of the tape lines are all but gone now.  Shoot the rest of one quart of clear and allow that to dry.  Again, if your satisfied, start shooting the second quart of 50 50 dope until the the clear is gone.  Then allow the dope to dry for a week or more and the dope to shrink down, (at this point you can test fly the model) and touch up any chips that have shown up.

Again, clean the model with windex and paper towels, starting on the bottom, lightly sand the clear dope with 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper (wet) until you have a dull Matt finish over the entire model.  Now start your rubbing out process using 3M fine rubbing compound, then switch to a very fine rubbing compound.  Apply a good wax and buff up the shine with the wax, now it should be very shinny and looking great.

Note:  At this point you can replace the second quart of dope with PPG high quality automotive clear.  Go easy it’s weight is way more than dope.  Apply two coats of the clear, the first coat a light tack coat, and the second coat an even smooth coat and allow to cure for a few days before buffing out.

Later,
Mikey Pratt

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »
Might not be enough dope. Is it ok to dope over primer and what ratio of dope/thinner should I use?

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 12:54:23 AM »
Hi Joe,
I hope you have worked this problem out on this model?  In my opinion, I think your problem started with the primer, if You are going for a dope finish, don’t put anything on that’s doesn't say dope, period.  You have already made a big commitment by building & covering the model, why take a chance on it by spraying some a non-dope primer on it, if this was a sport plane, them maybe, but not me, it’s just not worth it to chance it. 

I’ve painted a lot of different types of models over the 50 years, from dope, to epoxy, enamels, car paint or what have you, don’t mix different types of paint.  Use them on your lawn chairs, if they look crappy, who cares!

Mikey Pratt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 01:49:17 PM »
Just a point from reading here.  Real silkspan doesn’t have a smooth side.  It’s the same both sides.  Japanese or other tissues DO have a slick side.  There will always be some ‘stubble’ that sticks up after the first coat just like balsa.  You can very lightly knock it down after the second or third coat and then keep going.  The number of clear coats will depend on the brand of dope and how much it is thinned.  Certified is about the most dense.  Cut 50% about three coats will fill the paper.  Others may take 5-6 coats.  I’m not a user of filler or primers.  These are heavy.  An extra couple coats of dope and wet sanding will have good results.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
Mr.Joe,
It's been several weeks since you shared your problem. How is this going for you?

Thanks in advance

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 07:01:57 PM »
Thank you for asking. I’ve been sidelined on getting another plane ready for a contest. Hoping to continue soon.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here