News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PPG question.  (Read 1244 times)

Online Lauri Malila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PPG question.
« on: March 14, 2022, 02:40:05 AM »
Hello.
I have heard lots of good things about PPG paint products. Now, I finally found a dealer nearby and would like to give it a try. I’m only interested in the 2-component clear.
Could someone please give the names/ref. numbers of the well-proven products (clearcoat/hardener/thinner etc.)?

Thanks in advance. L

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: PPG question.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 04:49:01 AM »
Hello.
I have heard lots of good things about PPG paint products. Now, I finally found a dealer nearby and would like to give it a try. I’m only interested in the 2-component clear.
Could someone please give the names/ref. numbers of the well-proven products (clearcoat/hardener/thinner etc.)?

Thanks in advance. L
The only 2 part clear i would recommend would be PPG DAU 82. Deltron. But they stopped making it. PPG Dau 75 is the replacement and i havent tried it so cant recommend it.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »
Thanks a lot, Kevin.

I'll see what they have. The specs of 82 looks interesting, hopefully the replacement is similar.

Lauri
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 03:36:02 PM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 02:48:22 PM »
I use PPG D893 Global high performance clear, D871 medium thinner, and D884 hardener, developed in Europe, so you know it's good: https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Global-Refinish-System;
I think the official mix ratio is 3 parts clear, 1 part thinner, and 1 part hardener.  Jim Aron recommended 3 parts clear, 2 parts thinner, and 1 part hardener. That is what I have been using.  The late Phil Granderson used 50% thinner: http://flyinglines.org/ptg.finishing.html .
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
The only 2 part clear i would recommend would be PPG DAU 82. Deltron. But they stopped making it. PPG Dau 75 is the replacement and i havent tried it so cant recommend it.

DAU 75 is ancient as well - excellent results, and absolutely immune to anything you might put on it. It is also *hard as a diamond* after about a week. Both of Ted's Trivial Pursuits and most of the early Star Gazers (same thing) had DAU 75, and my first two Infinities, also DAU 75. Jim Armour put Ted on to it. We haven't been able to get it for at least 20 years.  The biggest issue was that the hardener (DXR-80) went bad very quickly after opening it, a few months at ambient temperatures. 

Phil's stuff (as described by Howard above) is generally much better, but doesn't get quite as rock hard.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 12:26:54 AM »
Very good information, thank you gentlemen.
So far I've been happy with whatever clear acrylic I've found, I guess the most usual brands here are all pretty similar.
I've also noticed that they dry hard, and ideally should be sanded after 24h from spraying. (impossible for me) But with molded parts, it's a little less important. And we have a long & dark winter to sand & polish. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »
Very good information, thank you gentlemen.
So far I've been happy with whatever clear acrylic I've found, I guess the most usual brands here are all pretty similar.
I've also noticed that they dry hard, and ideally should be sanded after 24h from spraying. (impossible for me) But with molded parts, it's a little less important. And we have a long & dark winter to sand & polish. L

Phil's stuff, you can rub out later. If you only wait 24 hours, it's easy, but it is definitely going to keep shrinking after that, for a good week or so, even at summer temperatures. Again with molded parts, it's like a car, everything under it is a constant thickness, more or less, so it is not quite as big an issue as over wood.

DAU-75/DXR-80 is *diamond hard* after about a week, and I recall trying to fix a few things after about a year, and I ended up going down to 1000 grit just to break the glaze, just to get a small scratch out of it. We haven't use that around here for decades now - although the same diamond hard surface also fends off small scratches, etc, much better. Phil's stuff is better, and you can still get it most places, as long as you are not subject to the unaccountable hitlerite  bureaucrats of the California Air Resources Board.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here