News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting Stars & Bars with paint mask  (Read 806 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Painting Stars & Bars with paint mask
« on: March 16, 2022, 01:28:59 PM »
OK so here is the question - What order do you paint the following colors when painting a stars and bars on a model?

We have three colors
1) Base color of the airplane
2) Insiginia Blue
3) White Star and Bars

I know there are different variations of the Stars and Bars but this question is limited to the Stars and Bars with the blue outline and the white star/bar

I am using a Cricut mask and have come up with several variations of what color to put down first, second and third but wanted to know what you have tried and got to work sucessfully.

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Re: Painting Stars & Bars with paint mask
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 03:38:42 PM »
to avoid buiuld up of several colors, i paint each color over the base model color, mask and add next color (no overlap of color) lots of work and tricky to align masks, worth the effort.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:03:49 PM »
Sir, you didn't mention what your major color will be. If it is dark, then the white will need a blocker under it so the base doesn't bleed through the white, and so the white stays very white.

This is going to sound backwards, but...
How about doing your white in the required areas first, that is, not the whole plane. Then masking the white stars and bars, with an exterior mask for the blue outline, so that the blue is "contained" around and over the white area just masked. Alternatively, just mask the SnB, and spray your blue just a big bigger than necessary (which will allow for a feathered area of blue instead of the hard step in the paint. Of course, the major color needs to work over blue if you don't mask the blue explicitly.
Lastly, cut one more mask to cover your blue-outlined stars and bars so you can top coat in your major color. You may want to consider a quick clear over each mask before shooting the subsequent or follow-on color to minimize any under-tape bleeding/mixing of colors.

I got this decades ago from doing a StuntMan 23 according to box art. My major color was red, so I shot the whole plane. Then I masked the entire plane except for where white was to go. Imagine my surprise when the white turned pink!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 09:18:43 PM »
The two projects have either Aluminum or Navy dark blue base color with the blue / white stars and bars. I would agree the white should go down first. putting the white over a darker color would be a problem.

My first thought was to apply the white first, then the blue portion of the stars / bars in the case of the Navy plane. Since the F7F blue is darker than the insignia blue it could be applied last with darker blue covering a portion of the insignia blue.

In the case of the aluminum painted scheme perhaps it's best to apply the white, then put the base aluminum down. Then put the insignia blue over the white and the aluminum paint with the proper masks in place.

Are there any tricks on how to align the masks so that the blue portion of the stars / bars and the white portion are aligned correctly?

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 09:39:55 PM »
It's tricky to say the least.  Even more so if your insignia also includes red and yellow. 

With while red and yellow, you must do the white before the red and yellow.  The red & yellow are highly transparent and require a white base coat.

But with Brodak/Randolph white, you can get it to cover blue or black.

You need to get your mask cutter to make the several masks with equal size rectangular outlines to register each color. 
Paul Smith

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 10:00:42 PM »
Are there any tricks on how to align the masks so that the blue portion of the stars / bars and the white portion are aligned correctly?

Use a clear mask. Will your chosen paint melt the newer plastic food wrap with the tacky stuff? Or use low-tack clear tape.
Another trick is to boarder the detail area in a box of masking material and then work your masking efforts in from the boarders. In other words, index your masks inward from a perimeter, rather than indexing off of the "last laid" detail. I hope that makes sense without pictures.

In the case of the silver, or aluminum primary, it may be fine to put it down first. I think white will go over silver ok. The blue would be fine over silver for sure, barring any funny compatibility issues.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here