News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:46:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red Lead  (Read 2683 times)

Offline John Craig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Red Lead
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:05:58 AM »
Is this product of any value for the same purpose?

3M™ Acryl-White Putty, 14.5 ounce Tube, 05095  = $25.00

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Red Lead
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
Is this product of any value for the same purpose?

3M™ Acryl-White Putty, 14.5 ounce Tube, 05095  = $25.00

John,

I've used a bit of putty/filler over primer for nicks and areas, especially on the flap ends where I pin my last hinge. I also used it to skim the canopy area where it's attached.

I've mentioned this in a few Threads and Posted photos of the product.

What I use dries immediately and doesn't add a great deal of weight.

Here's the canopy skim on the Mig-3.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »
Might as well drop in a photo of the  finished canopy area. You can see the tape edge was left or never feathered.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
Charles,
pretty sure thats not the same product, therefore your input is not answering his question. Besides, didnt you use microballoons and epoxy? or was that just the wing fillets

The white 3M product is similar to the "green" or "red" filler, it is adequate to fill small scratch type imperfections, it is NOT appropriate for use as a fillet or to cover large areas.
By looking at the manufactures product sheet, it appears that it should be acceptable with Laquer type finish products, but be advised that if you apply it to heavily, or over to large an area it will shrink back over time and defeat the purpose. So used as intended, to fix minor imperfections like scratchs, or the like, It should be suitable
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »
John, I am pretty sure that product has nothing to do with "red lead".  I read the mfg. product description and it looks like it would work for small scratches and dings prior to painting, not for fillets or canopies.

Here is what I have been using for quite a few years.  http://www.pbejobbers.com/product-spot-putty-red-1-tube-lacquer_39093.aspx

Mark is correct, over large areas most products will shrink to the point they are useless. 
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Yea, it's a glazing compound. I try not to use it at all. I use a catalyzed product that will not shrink. It just works better and you don't have issues with shrinking or adhesion. Just another thing to go wrong.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
Randy,
did you get your shirt back at the nwr?

Ken

(sorry for the off topic)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
Randy,
did you get your shirt back at the nwr?

Ken

(sorry for the off topic)
Shirt? was that a brown kind of checkered shirt? I gave it to John at the end of the day as it was sitting by my battery box
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Hey Mark,  you did clean your plane with it first? LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
Hey Mark,  you did clean your plane with it first? LL~ LL~
No, all there was on mhy plane was bugs,, I cleaned John Leidle plane, its a Merco 60 powered beast, I saw him using tons of papertowels, and my concern for the enviroment took over,, wasting all that paper,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
I use a catalyzed product that will not shrink. It just works better and you don't have issues with shrinking or adhesion. Just another thing to go wrong.

Here's a picture of U -Pol Dolphin Glaze, the stuff Randy recommends.  It's polyester resin stuff with benzoyl peroxide hardener.  It works nicely, but the 50:1 ratio makes the hardener a little hard to measure for small quantities, even with a .01-gram-resolution scale.  It hardens quickly, so one only wants to mix a small quantity at a time.  The uncatalyzed green stuff shown also works well for filling little dings and scratches.  It dries fast, so you gotta be quick.  The tube dries up before you can use very much.  The top goes bad, exacerbating the drying-up problem.  I squirt solvent into the tube with a syringe from time to time and keep the tube in a plastic bag to extend its life. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here