News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:06:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: polyspan on built up wingtips  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
polyspan on built up wingtips
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:37:06 PM »
Hi, I couldn't find this answer, maybe I need a little guidance.

I can do a pretty good monocote wingtip. My silk wingtips came out good. But this polyspan doesn't bend or go around corners very well. Even the directions say not to do wingtips. Does this mean...
A. carve wingtips from balsa rather than building them up?

Or

B. Don't use polyspan.

Or

C. If I get polyspan wet, will it wrap around and stick to a wingtip?

Or

What? I've heard about using CA on the edges of polyspan. Could I CA it to the wingtip, then shrink it?

Thanks

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: polyspan on built up wingtips
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
Hi, I couldn't find this answer, maybe I need a little guidance.

I can do a pretty good monocote wingtip. My silk wingtips came out good. But this polyspan doesn't bend or go around corners very well. Even the directions say not to do wingtips. Does this mean...
A. carve wingtips from balsa rather than building them up?

Or

B. Don't use polyspan.

Or

C. If I get polyspan wet, will it wrap around and stick to a wingtip?

Or

What? I've heard about using CA on the edges of polyspan. Could I CA it to the wingtip, then shrink it?

Thanks

Why are you using Polyspan?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
Da Shorts,

I just submitted a build article to our club newsletter last week that had a couple photos and some comments. Let me try to post them here.

People say don't use it on wingtips. To pre-cover these with silkspan. But I think that advice could be more specific. It works fine for some wingtips. In my example, I used it to cover a carved tip the same way I would have covered with tissue or silkspan--except for getting it wet and trying to stretch it. Since polyspan is a synthetic fiber material, getting it wet is not going to make it relax or shrink.

If you were going to use it on a Flight Streak-like tip, I would just make sure the gussets were wide enough, and strategically located that you could slit and attach the polyspan at each of these, as needed.

I don't know about using CyA. I found nitrate dope to be sticky and thick enough to hold over reasonable curves. Not sure if CyA might give you hard spots that would telegraph thru any finish?

Da Divot

(2394) People will say that polyspan doesn't go around curves real well and that you are better off pre-covering wingtips and other compound curves with tissue or silkspan. On this plane, since I was experimenting, I decided to go polyspan all the way. Here is the covering job you are faced with.

(2398) I used the same techniques I would have used on tissue, slitting and butting the covering as needed. The inboard tip is a bit more difficult as you must work around the leadout wires. It came out fine and wasn't really any more difficult than tissue. Just don't try to sand it until you have plenty of dope on it.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
Why are you using Polyspan?

CB
One reason I'm using polyspan is because I haven't used polyspan yet. Another reason is at least a few concours winners have been covered in polyspan. Though that doesn't mean the majority I'm sure.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
Robert has videos on just about every aspect of his techniques.....way up top is you tube link...the search box works well

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polyspan

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 08:07:58 PM »
Robert has videos on just about every aspect of his techniques.....way up top is you tube link...the search box works well

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polyspan

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Sometimes we overlook the obvious I guess. At least I do.  Thanks

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:25:43 PM »
Hey David we all have that problem once in a while.  I use heat sensitive adhesive and use the heat to make the poly-span go around the surfaces.  Once in a while I may have to put a patch on.  When I was using dope, after a few coats you could hardly feel the seam or wrinkle.   The primer coats will take care of the rest. Keep us posted. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
I've tried it both ways and have found that covering the solid tips with silkspan is my preference. Silkspan is easier (for me anyway) to apply and you can sand/blend the seams without worrying about "fuzzies ". After a few coats of dope the surface will be indistinguishable from the polyspanned  open bay areas. I sometimes use silkspan on open bay built up wingtips. Same advantages as on solid tips but I have found I have found that using 2 layers of silkspan give the silkspan covering more puncture resistance.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
With practice, polyspan is no harder to use than anything else.  Heat, stretch, trim and repeat until complete.  It stretches a lot like Monokote, just takes practice.
Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
With practice, polyspan is no harder to use than anything else.  Heat, stretch, trim and repeat until complete.  It stretches a lot like Monokote, just takes practice.

The technique I use for 'coat is to leave an inch or two of extra all around, put a glove on my right hand, then pull the covering into place with the gloved hand while holding the heat gun in the other.  (In other words -- I use the technique straight out of Faye Stilley's book on covering with Monocoat).

Is that what you do, or is there another way?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
if you´re talking about open structure covering, can be done
it´s a lot f work and you have to use multiple parts and direct the "grain" parallel to the longest area. this Stuka wigtip is polyspan in several directions.
i use undiluted dope on the borders to attach them. i use a brush and run dope under the new piece of polyspan, attach the polyspan and with a toilet paper i clean up the surplus which makes the polyspan to stick almost instantly on the edges
hope i could make in easy to understand

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »
Nice looking job, Fred.  Do you find the overlapping seams disappear with just the dope finish, or are you using filler, or....?

Dave

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:24:09 PM »
Fred has it right.  Any small anomalies will disappear with more dope, and a little heat if necessary.  Again, nitrate works better than butyrate for application but butyrate will work.
Mike

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 05:57:47 AM »
thanks guys
most of the overlap will settle with dope. some heat gun may be necessary to taut but be careful not to overheat, overstretch and lost the fibers strength.
i got rid of the remaining overlap marks with the primer coat

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »
if you´re talking about open structure covering, can be done
it´s a lot f work and you have to use multiple parts and direct the "grain" parallel to the longest area. this Stuka wigtip is polyspan in several directions.
i use undiluted dope on the borders to attach them. i use a brush and run dope under the new piece of polyspan, attach the polyspan and with a toilet paper i clean up the surplus which makes the polyspan to stick almost instantly on the edges
hope i could make in easy to understand

Fred,

Is silk available in Brazil?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 08:10:30 AM »
Hello Charles!
yes, silk for cloth and silk screen work is available and local modelers use them.
i used twice and gave up, too heavy and prone to brittle finish for my method
as you know i am a monokote painted finish fan, bit if i really need a doped tissue finish, polyspan is my choice. works great and relatively light
regards from brazil my friend!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »
 y1
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here