News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: polyspan issue  (Read 1658 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
polyspan issue
« on: June 24, 2022, 05:28:04 AM »
fellows this is my third endeavour with polyspan
some rips started to develop while sanding the primer ( light hand, belive me) ;D
i fized and shot yellow
probably this rip was while masking colors and moving around
is that normal with polyspan, that fragility or am i doing something wrong ( other than hitting the covering with things)
any advices or tips?
thanks

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: polyspan issue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »
Have you been using the same polyspan all along?  That is, the same brand.  I have encountered some polyspan clones.  These clones are not of the same quality as the original polyspan.  When I started using polyspan, it was the Starline brand. 

Most of the clones were poor quality.  I have no idea who made them as there was no labeling.  The product was wrapped around some cardboard with no manufacturer information.  The weave was quite coarse in spots, very uneven, and there was no way to fill it with dope or anything else.  And, with such large voids, it was rather fragile, tearing easily.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 07:31:31 AM »
Have you been using the same polyspan all along?  That is, the same brand.  I have encountered some polyspan clones.  These clones are not of the same quality as the original polyspan.  When I started using polyspan, it was the Starline brand. 

Most of the clones were poor quality.  I have no idea who made them as there was no labeling.  The product was wrapped around some cardboard with no manufacturer information.  The weave was quite coarse in spots, very uneven, and there was no way to fill it with dope or anything else.  And, with such large voids, it was rather fragile, tearing easily.
bought them from RSM all looks the same, good weave overall. maybe i am not doping enought? 6 brushed coats 50% dilluted, not butyrate

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:39:50 AM »
Sounds to me not enough clear before the primer coat.  My self I put enough clear that it starts to get a sheen to the surface.   Then I put on the base primer and least two coats before sanding.   Takes very little sanding as my poly-span looks decent when I put on the color coats.  After all the graphics I shoot a coat of clear.  Really I sand primer coats only where the area is still showing pin holes or rough to the feel.  Take a very light touch with 200 grit paper. D>K

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »
Fred, I have used polyspan (from Okie) for years and never had a crack.  Sanded through some rib edges but even then it frayed but did not crack.  That spiderweb tells me that the dope was really brittle.  I agree, bad lot.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 07:45:18 AM »
so probably i was conservative on the doping and ended up being fragile, well, hope the clear coat will stiffen and holds the finish
next time will ad more dope layers.
thanks for the input guys!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 12:35:38 AM »
I'd like to know what kind of primer you used.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 04:11:05 AM »
I'd like to know what kind of primer you used.
sherwin williams spektra prime, 2 part Polyurethane ( it comes with some plasticise to be applyed on plastic bumpers and be less brittle)

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »
I still think the problem is low quality poly span.  Unless you got some labeled Starline, it could be a clone.  There is no way to know who made it.  It might look OK but it is not of equal quality as Starline.

Some years ago, there was a product called Thermal Span.  Same material as poly span, and attached and filled the same way, but it was as strong in the chord wise direction as it was span wise.  There was no "grain."  The weave looked tighter and I preferred it to poly span.  You might still be able to find it but with so little demand these days for such things, it is probably out of production.

Offline mdamico

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 10:11:42 PM »
I'm just getting back into the hobby now that I'm retired, so I need to know where's the best place to buy: Polyspan, Dope, and Thinner. FYI, I'm frustrated with iron-on coverings that can't take the Florida heat while being left in a closed up car for a few minutes. For instance, I have a plane with an UltraCote covering and the covering shrinks even more in the car and then wrinkles after it cools. Since I seem to be able to keep my airplanes for 10 years or more I'd like to learn how to apply a longer lasting covering, no mater how long it takes to apply. BTW, I watched a video on the Stunthanger YouTube channel and a guy there did a wonderful job explaining how to apply Polyspan. I just need to learn where to get the materials from.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 08:16:47 PM »
Dope and thinner you can get from Sig Manufacturing, polyspan from Okie Air.

Motorman 8)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here