News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Film surface undercoat  (Read 549 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Film surface undercoat
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:03:49 AM »
Guys,
Getting ready to finish off my rebuilt electric profile with film. I have made some mods to the fuse to add stiffness and allow a more modern % of tail volume. To do the mods I stripped off the original film. I want to get the fuse smooth before applying the new film. I normally apply a coat of Balsarite for film to stick the film firm but it is does not dry hard for sanding. I was wondering if has anyone tried applying a coat of clear dope to the surface to get the fuzz up for final sanding then the Balsarite? Nitra or Butyrate?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Film surface undercoat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Dennis,

I don't use dope, but I do use Minnwax lacquer sealer which has similar properties to dope.  It is sandable. I would think you could put Balsarite over it, but I have found that the Minnwax will soften with the heat iron and adhere the covering quite well.  I apply two coats and have used this technique on the past two aircraft I built to apply Polyspan, which has no glue impregnated on the cloth to begin with.  It worked very well.  You also might try white glue.  I have used that method with pretty good results, but I think the lacquer is easier to work with. Hope this helps.

Paul

Advertise Here

Advertise Here