News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitrate Dope  (Read 772 times)

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Nitrate Dope
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »

Gentlemen,

Considering purchasing a gallon of Nitrate Dope from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks.

Not sure which one to get.
Plan to use it to seal bare balsa, flat balsa surfaces (flaps), and on Silkspan and SIG Koveral over wing ribs.  My guess is a Tautening dope. 

1) Should it be a Tautening or a non-Tautening dope?

They advertise Randolph as a;
  Nitrate Clear High Solids

2) Is the above the correct for a Tautening dope? 

3) What does the 'High Solids' statement mean on the label?

4) Is there a Shelf-Life to the Nitrate dope?

Thanks for the info.

T  Michael Jennings      AP^
Knoxville, TN.

Mike Griffin

Re: Nitrate Dope
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
He t Michael

I have used the Randolph Taut Nitrate dope for years for the applications you are doing and it works really well.  I have some that is several years old and turned kind of an amber color but it still works fine.  I thin mine 50/50 with Nitrate thinner.  I am sure there is a shelf life but it has to be several years.  Anyway, it is a very good product and works well.

Mike

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
When I was a kid I used nitrate dope on one side of silk wing and didn't paint the other side.  Looked like a barrel hoop in the morning ....
Joe Daly

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
I have used a lot of Nitrate dope in my time, but if I didn't have any, I wouldn't bother to get some now! I do think it sticks covering on a little better, if you're doing an undercambered or polywog airfoil, but not a major deal.

One thing to watch for is that Aircraft Clear Dope (either Nitrate or Butyrate) typically comes with a blue tint to it, and you don't want that. You'll probably have to ask for it without the blue tint!   :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here