News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pinstriping, or color matched "ink" lines  (Read 885 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pinstriping, or color matched "ink" lines
« on: March 06, 2022, 05:50:58 PM »
I'm closing in on getting a scale project done for the NW Regionals (usual disclaimer -- I may actually get it to this upcoming Regionals, but then, maybe 2023...

The original is white with big blocks of red, set off with matching-color pinstripes.  They're probably 1/4" to 1/2" wide on the original, but that means they're going to be teeny on the model.

I could just cheat and make the pinstripes with red Sharpie, and if anyone points out that they don't match retreat behind claims of colorblindness (which I can, because I am, partly).  But I'm much rather they actually match.

I'm painting with dope.

Is there a way to make such fine lines with dope?  At the moment I'm leaning toward thinning dope with pure retarder, and using those drafting pens that usually see more use as Things to Puzzle Millennials, when they see any use at all.  Is that a stupid idea?  Is there a better way?  Should I just use red Sharpie and pretend that all reds are the same red?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Pinstriping, or color matched "ink" lines
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:49:33 PM »
Whatever you do DON’T use dope in a drafting pen.
I made that mistake and ruined a pen. The dope attacked it and basically melted the plastic in the pen.
And yes it was not a cheap one. It was a rapidograph.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 12:21:19 PM »
This is an extension of Howards idea.  I recently ordered some cheap automotive masking tape on Amazon (sorry - I like Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/Millimeter-Masking-Automotive-Painters-Painter/dp/B09685GW48/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=10+Rolls+Fine+Line+Tapes+1%2F8+Inch+3+Millimeter+Vinyl+Fine+line+Masking+Tape+Blue+Vinyl+Automotive+Masking+Tape+Painters+Tape+for+Curves+Automotive+Car+Painter%2C+33+Meters+for+Each+Roll&qid=1646767535&sr=8-2

It is really cheap (when you have a PA budget that excludes front row finishes you do cheap), and you get a whole bunch of it.  I tried it on MonoKote and Rattle Can finishes and it works nearly as good as the 3M.  It does small curves better.  So I tried doing a panel line on some scrap that was finished with Rustoleum.
Not bad.  I think you could go to 1/32 without much trouble.   Push it down several times and use a brush.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 02:28:48 PM »
I'm closing in on getting a scale project done for the NW Regionals (usual disclaimer -- I may actually get it to this upcoming Regionals, but then, maybe 2023...

The original is white with big blocks of red, set off with matching-color pinstripes.  They're probably 1/4" to 1/2" wide on the original, but that means they're going to be teeny on the model.

I could just cheat and make the pinstripes with red Sharpie, and if anyone points out that they don't match retreat behind claims of colorblindness (which I can, because I am, partly).  But I'm much rather they actually match.

I'm painting with dope.

Is there a way to make such fine lines with dope?  At the moment I'm leaning toward thinning dope with pure retarder, and using those drafting pens that usually see more use as Things to Puzzle Millennials, when they see any use at all.  Is that a stupid idea?  Is there a better way?  Should I just use red Sharpie and pretend that all reds are the same red?
there is red india ink, you can use with your drafting pen

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »
Whatever you do DON’T use dope in a drafting pen.
I made that mistake and ruined a pen. The dope attacked it and basically melted the plastic in the pen.
And yes it was not a cheap one. It was a rapidograph.

I was thinking of the really old pre-rapidiograph drafting pens.  The kind that's just two blades with adjustable spacing, that comes in a set with all the compasses and whatnot.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here