News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Topcoat question  (Read 4727 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Topcoat question
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
So, I haven't used dope as a topcoat in a long, long time. Remind, on average, how many coats are needed to complete the topcoat?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Topcoat question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
A good buddy who is pretty darn good at finishing says he takes a Pint of clear, cuts it 50/50 making a quart or so.  He applies one coat a day until it is gone.  Usually cutting it up to 60/40 for the final coat or two.  The results are very good.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:59:46 AM »
Automotive two part clear, done in ten minutes.  ;D

Don't know if this is true or not, you know how rumors start,  LL~, but, I was told that "a few guys" use clear dope, BUT, in the areas well hit by spent fuel, they will use auto two part clear. Weight saver was the concept.

Yes, I was told this during a telephone conversation. BION, "Believe it or not."

The thought of using clear dope to finish, never even crossed my mind while I was doing R/C, for a good number of years actually and many painted models. Mostly all of them actually.  n~

It still doesn't.  ;D

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:13:14 AM »
Geez Randy,  Couldn't find anyone in the PNW to answer your question?  Let's see, Paul, Chris, Pete, myself and a few others.  The number of coats depends on two things.  How smooth is your base and how much are you thinning your clear.  I'm of the starting with a few heavy coats (40% clear/60% thinner) discipline.  This is to bury trim lines and decorations.  After I get all that covered I start reducing the mix and spraying the whole airplane.  This can go on for 5 to 8 coats with a little further reduction with each coat.  My last couple of coats are probably only 15% clear and 85% thinner.  Sanding of coats starts after the trim is buried.  I usually start with 3M 800 grit at that point.  My last sanding before my final coat of clear is usually done with 1500 grit. Your final weight increase on a 650 sq. in. plane should only add between 2.5 to 3 oz.
I use Randolph A-1619 non-tautening clear.  As to automotive clear, I have only used it once and will leave it for auto finishers.  In a word, it's heavy. I went from a model that should have ended up weighing around 64 oz. ready to go to a model that weighed 72 oz.  It flew ok, but was not happy.  Hey besides, electrons don't affect your finish.
Alan 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
Hi Alan,

I just haven't done a dope topcoat in awhile. I've done many catalyzed polyurethane topcoat. And generally, if I can keep my finger off the trigger, are in the 2-2.5oz range. I was trying to figure out if I had enough clear to complete a topcoat. Since I have about 90% of a quart, that should do it. Thanks for the response. Seems I did get a response from a northwest guy.

;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
Randy,
Spencer Aircraft isn't that far away.  I usually give them a call a couple of weeks before I head
South and tell them what I need.  For colors, they mix it up for me and for clear they make sure they have the A-1619 in stock.  They know me and have it ready when I show up.  They don't charge me in advance and even let me back into the warehouse where they mix colors.  I was looking for some white pigment to add to Insignia White and the guy gave me a quart of the stuff for the cost of a quart of white dope.  Probably enough pigment to mix up 5 to 10 gallons of white.  Hope he didn't get fired   
Alan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »
And here I thought Randy P. would be telling us how to do it>   Sorry Randy just got to run it in.  You know the old DOC. VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »
Well, it's going to have a catalyzed poly topcoat after all. It was just too humid and hot to successfully use dope. If I had wanted to take the time to experiment with a slower thinner or with retarder, it would probably have worked but I ended up with so many issues with the color then blushing and all manner of apocalypse, I might have taken the time to work it out, but as it is, I just went the easy route.

And Alan, I also get stuff from Spencer but I don't have your panache so they only give me what is in stock. 
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
This is only me but I only use 1 quart of clear total for everything. 1 Pint for base and one pint for top coat. That mixes to a 1/2 a gallon. WOW! no more than 1/2 pint of color. Results may vary.
AMA 12366

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:19 PM »
Maybe i've been doing it right, but I use just one coat of 2-part automotive "clear-coat".  I doubt if I sprayed more than 1 pint thinned with butyrate thinner.  Full-size stunter with 60" span.  It flows nicely and I couldn't see any need for any more.

Don't try to rub it out.  Rubbing compound has no effect!  Looks the same before and after.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
Maybe i've been doing it right, but I use just one coat of 2-part automotive "clear-coat".  I doubt if I sprayed more than 1 pint thinned with butyrate thinner.  Full-size stunter with 60" span.  It flows nicely and I couldn't see any need for any more.

Don't try to rub it out.  Rubbing compound has no effect!  Looks the same before and after.

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

I have learned form the Top Cats that you have to rub it out in about the first 24 hours.  At that time it is still soft enough for 1200-2000 to cut it.  After it fully cures, like you say, you are wasting your time.  Check with Sparky, he has the definitive answer as he rubs out his 2 part automotive polyurethane clear top coat.  My first foray into the 2 part clears is approaching 20 years old and looks like the day I sprayed it.  I added plasticizer and fish eye killer to the clear and the silkspan has not turned brittle at all.  Model was finished with Sig Dope and then shot with slightly thinned 2 part Dupont Chromaclear.  Only 1 fairly light coat that covered.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Winfred figured a quart of clear, then added a quart of thinner, and sprayed until gone.
He let it gas off thoroughly before he sanded ....finished with Goram's silver polish.
To the best of my knowledge, he never used car paint.......even today, he is painting motorbikes with Brodak lacquers ....I think that he may be using auto clear on the bikes now.
"Tradition" had around 5000 flights, with varying amounts of nitro, and the nose was fine.
Have fun.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Rich,

I know Windy used Imron for a couple of planes. I decided after having to sand the plane back down to substrate and repaint it (too hot, too humid), I shot a catalyzed poly for clear coat.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
Therefore it should be ready for this weekend.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
Almost was, Howard. Almost. Probably be ready for this weekend. Maybe.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here