News:

• May 27, 2024, 11:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metallic colors  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Metallic colors
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »
Where can one buy metallic red or metallic blue butyrate dope?. I didn't see any on Brodaks website, and it appears Top Flite doesn't supply the metallics in their spray cans anymore, (hope I'm wrong here). I don't like iron on's, guess i'm old school, I like dope and all it's headaches. I'm getting ready to start a Jetco Dolphin, wanted to paint it metallic blue. I'm not too keen on automotive paints, done enough of that in the past on cars to want to do that again. Any help?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Metallic colors
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »
Brodak's Newpot Blue is a metallic.  Piper Green is the metallic green in the Brodak line.  for a metallic red you will need to get some metallic flakes from someone like House of Color and add it to the red shade you want.
Alan Resinger

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:16 AM »
I don't know what's in the catalog now, but metallics from Brodak consisted of applying a "candy" color over a base metallic the last time I finished one. For instance, I put the "candy" red over gold to get a candy-apple red. Presumably the "candy" blue would go over their "B-25" silver (a much more reflective than average silver). Unfortunately I found the "candy" red to fade badly and quickly. My venerable P-Force has not seen that much air time over it's life, but what was initially a very dark metallic red is now a bleached out color, with no red at all remaining in some places. I have bought some "fade proof" ink to mix with clear for my next efforts over the "B-25" silver. The metal-flake metallics are OK - some better than others - but I think the depth of translucents over metal is vastly superior.

SK

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
As Alan notes, you can go to House of Kolor and get dry flake (various grades from very fine to very course) additive and just add that to any color you want to make metallic colors. Same with dry pearls.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
the fading issue is one that plagues most candies, UNLESS you use a clear that contains UV filters,, such as a two part Urethane clear, this will prevent a great deal of the fade.

What Randy says about the dry flake is the hot ticket, you can mix your own that way in whatever color you want. Just make sure you keep enough for repairs,, that is unless your a masochist like me, and do paint jobs that cannot be repaired,,,, sigh,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
Mark,

Been there, done that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:07:24 AM »
I have recently used Duplicolor Paint Shop Metallic Blue.  "Paint Shop" is their line of lacquers that comes in quart cans.  You can use clear butyrate over it.  That is what MANY people used to do to get the colors they wanted on our model airplanes.

Of course, you can get Duplicolor lacquers in their touch up cans and do the same thing.  We painted Aaron's Oriental and his Satona with Duplicolor spray lacquer touch up cans.  Oriental got Sig clear and the Satona got auto urethane clear.  Both have held us perfectly for a few years now.

Then again, you can do like Randy P., and add auto paint toners to clear dope!  That opens up any color you might ever want! LOL!! If a car has ever been painted with the color, you can get the toners for that color.

Ask Randy what the particulars are, if he doesn't answer here.  Something has to be left out (other than the clear carrier), but I can't remember what!  I believe he gets the color mixed with out the carrier added.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »
Does anyone have experience with spraying Brodak Gold. I would like to use it a a blocking coat, instead of silver, white or polar gray. Gold will be part of the paint scheme. What proportion of thinner will work? Is there a better way than using this paint?
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
Shot the gold today. Using the touch-up gun did not work well. Went to a full size gun and it covered well. I am however very disappointed in the brilliance of the Brodak gold flakes. Next time I will have to use an automotive gold candy undercoat. I have a future project that I will want to have flashy gold trim lines.

The current project does not require concours finishing..... The "Hobo" is coming very soon!
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
Use Duplicolor Sunburst Touch Up Lacquer, or the *GOLD* Duplicolor Lacquer that is in a BIG Gold can.  They sell it for the basecoat for their Metal Cast colors.......... ;D  The Sunburst is a more warm gold, the *GOLD* is a bright *metallic* gold, like HOK's Candy Gold basecoat.  There are others.....  All are compatible with Randolph's and Sig Lite Coat, plus Clear Auto Urethanes.  Never used Brodak's clear, so I can't say.......

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
Bill,
I'll have to try the Duplicolor gold in the future.

It is not critical on this airplane, but I will try many things before the future airplane. I might have to get some flakes and make my own. I hope that Randy can pitch in on this.

Ty,
I will be using Auto urethane clear. Like I said it is not critical on this airplane.

And... The "Hobo" is coming!
AMA 7544

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
Randolphs advertises some metallic colors in the AircraftSpruce catalogue, anyone tried any of those? Z@@ZZZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 02:57:33 AM »
Randolphs advertises some metallic colors in the AircraftSpruce catalogue, anyone tried any of those? Z@@ZZZ

Hi John,

It has been a while since I used Randolph's metallic dope.  !965 to be exact! LL~  I used a red that had gold dust in it.  Don't have a clue as to the name, my friend's Dad was the mechanic at the local airport and he poured me off a can of it.  It was about the prettiest red I have ever used.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here