News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting when you get time, and shrinking masks  (Read 446 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Painting when you get time, and shrinking masks
« on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:29 PM »
On my current project I noted an issue in one step of the painting: I masked off an area, then painted it in several coats.

Because of the intersection of the weather around here and the demands my job puts on my time, those several coats were spaced out over several weeks; during that time the masks shrank, which messed up the quality of the lines.

What factors might be causing this?  Is there a technique, or materials, for masking something, then putting two or three light color coats on it over a period of days or weeks that's going to work, or do I have to figure out how to make the whole scheduling thing work out?

Note that I was probably laying the coats on rather thick, and I was using frisket paper of unknown origin that I've had for at least ten years, and maybe 30.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Painting when you get time, and shrinking masks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:48:52 PM »
The dope probably shrunk and loosened the adhesive and mask off of the dope.I know Frisket paper is already on thin side, and doesnt stand up well to the amount of thinner used to reduce the dope to spraying consistency. It can work if you use VERY thin coats. Not sure if that helps.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »
So are there masks where this won't happen?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 11:32:13 PM »
So are there masks where this won't happen?
  Both the Oracle or Mac Tac will work. Both are made for solvents, and they are thick material. Always a good idea to spray 2 light coats than 1 heavy one. And remove the mask within 24 hours. Spraying heavy wet coats on frisket film will cause it to wrinkle.

Kevin.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/paint-mask-material/

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 03:51:17 AM »
mask material is thinner and more plyable than the model skin, so due to air temperature it will retract. this happens on nay masking media at any size, even 1/16 masking tape. the only way to avoid this is mask, paint immediatly and unmask. i never let a plane masked for more than 4 hours. otherwise it will shrink and leave a dreadful glue edge. itīs a lot of work to do like this but worth the final result. this brazilian star is a mess to mask but you can see how crisp lines ended up using fresh masks.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 12:07:59 PM »
I use MacTac 8448 Grey Translucent Spray Mask and Pro-Tape Standard Application Tape from Ordway, http://www.SignSupply.com .  Don't count on doing everything with a single set of masks: https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/world-class-finish-tips-from-the-lone-jiver/msg635804/#msg635804
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here